Popping noise after installing new springs/shocks

Trialsin26

Ok, so everything is not so great. I got my Old Man EMU springs and pro comp shock installed and now there is this popping sound every time hit the gas from a stand still. I think it might be the shocks b/c my local 4 wheel parts store tried to make some work and they are not the correct ones for my car. I have gone ahead and order a pair of old man emu rear shock and they should be in this Friday. I think the shocks are the problem but if not I have a couple of question to try and help me find a solution if the shocks are not it?

Question:

1. Can lifting the rear put you drive line/drive shaft out of line making it pop in first gear?

2. Is there a certain way the springs have to be installed/positioned or they will make a popping sound.

3. Will the incorrect shock cause a popping sound?

Thanks for any help.

:help:

i have Emu coils/shocks on my 97XE with no odd noises. I do not think these coils will affect your drivetrain angles at all, CVs or driveshafts should all be within spec.

Certainly knowing you have 'wrong' size shocks installed makes them suspect.

But, some things to check:

Look closely to see how the coils are seated. Are the plastic coil sleeves in place? These sit between the coils and the base plate they rest on. Even without them, i'd expect a squeak, not a popping sound.

You could also doublecheck the control arms, if they were removed to drop the axle - look at all the exhaust hangers, anything that may have been taken off and reinstalled. Every shop does it a bit differently - coil compressors or not.

A popping sound has been reported from the strut bearings located at the top of the (front) struts. Maybe these were disturbed by the strut install? But the sound would come from the front, not the rear.

m.

Well, I thought it might be possible that they installed the springs wrong, but after getting up under the car, it looks like there is no real wrong way to install the spring. I’ll just hope it’s the shock, because I don’t want to spend a lot of $$$$ trying to figure out the problem.

The plastic sleeves were not on the springs, but luckly I kept my old springs and they were still on there. Tomorrow I'm going to put them on my springs and see if that helps. Do the springs need to turned a certain way?

Well, I installed the plastic sleeves this morning, but the noise is still there. Everything looked good as for the springs, so I going to say the noise is from the shock. Hopefully my EMU shocks come in this week. I'll let you all know. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I purchase the Nissan Hynes Manual this weekend and followed up on the rear spring installation. It seems like the springs do have to be turned a certain way. The bottom end of the coil should be turned to the front of the Pathfinder, and the side where the noise is coming from is a quarter turn off. This might also be the problem. I was going to turn them myself but I figure since I get my new shock installed I'll let them do it. I let you know the end results.