Break Light Aren't Working

jpnjames

i checked the fuses,bulbs,switch under the break peddle. my running lights work. all blinkers worked until i started trying to find the problem with the break lights so now thats another problem i have to try to fix. could it be a fuseable link or the relay? what do those four fuseable links go too cause one of the green ones is completely gone (looks like some one cut it off) and one of the pink ones looks nasty. if its a relay witch one or how do i test it? any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

pssssst. Not to be a bitch but the correct spelling is "brake" light, not "break" light. For this particular problem, you wouldn't use break light since that is a completely different issue that we have to deal with while off roading. :whistle:

The one green wire supplies power to the ECU, I'm guessing that you burnt out the other one since you aren't complaining it won't start...

New fusible links are $11 at the dealer, start with fixing that then see what still isn't working.

The one green wire supplies power to the ECU, I'm guessing that you burnt out the other one since you aren't complaining it won't start...

New fusible links are $11 at the dealer, start with fixing that then see what still isn't working.

The brake lights are working now. I must have a short somewhere cuz I'm thinking that when I was messing with the wires I musta did sumpin... First it wasn't blown then it was blown. Changed the fuse and now its working.

Do you know what that other green wire is for? Because it really looks like it was cut intentionly and I'm sure its been that way since I purchased the truck and as for as I can tell everything in the truck works except the turn signals. Witch justed stoped working when I started messing with the wires

Edited by jpnjames

:stickwack:

Have a test light? Start probing to see where you got power.

Not such a good idea anymore, those lights tend to draw enough power to blow fuses or ECUs. A volt meter, $5 at Harbor Freight or the likes, is a much better option and gives more options for diagnosing problems...

The brake lights are working now. I must have a short somewhere cuz I'm thinking that when I was messing with the wires I musta did sumpin... First it wasn't blown then it was blown. Changed the fuse and now its working.

Do you know what that other green wire is for? Because it really looks like it was cut intentionly and I'm sure its been that way since I purchased the truck and as for as I can tell everything in the truck works except the turn signals.

Did someone install a U-haul towing package on your rig at some point or removed it before you got it? Sometimes people don't exactly patch things up properly and leave open ends to ground out with.

As for blinkers, if everything looks good, try swapping out the hazard light switch. My old '87 had one that was somewhat shorted out and wouldn't allow the blinkers to work very often. I think I stuck a staple between 2 connections inside of it and they worked, but no hazards. However since you said they were working until you messed with the brake lights, that usually indicates a grounded out wire which would blow a fuse, or a short/ground somewhere that's not letting something get power.

sounds like your harness is bad, but thats just me, cause if you were muckin round back there and the rest stopped working its probably not working right.....is it both sides or one side?

Both. But somehow the brake lights started working.

Did someone install a U-haul towing package on your rig at some point or removed it before you got it? Sometimes people don't exactly patch things up properly and leave open ends to ground out with.

As for blinkers, if everything looks good, try swapping out the hazard light switch. My old '87 had one that was somewhat shorted out and wouldn't allow the blinkers to work very often. I think I stuck a staple between 2 connections inside of it and they worked, but no hazards. However since you said they were working until you messed with the brake lights, that usually indicates a grounded out wire which would blow a fuse, or a short/ground somewhere that's not letting something get power.

Yes someone did. I'll try that staple thing now . There are eight holes in there my luck I might connect two hot connections or something. I don't know . Thanks

Edited by jpnjames

Yes someone did. I'll try that paper clip thing now . Thanks

I don't recommend that...it took me a long time to get that switch back together or even work. It was a fluke thing that I made the right connection with the paper clip... and it doesn't seem like that would be your problem.

This has nothing to do with the problem at hand. But when underneath my truck gets wet it kills instantly is there a censor or something down there that can't get wet?

I don't recommend that...it took me a long time to get that switch back together or even work. It was a fluke thing that I made the right connection with the paper clip... and it doesn't seem like that would be your problem.

Yea. Lookn at it it looks fine. I don't think I'll be trying that. But I will be looking at that u haul thing tomorrow.thanks.

This has nothing to do with the problem at hand. But when underneath my truck gets wet it kills instantly is there a censor or something down there that can't get wet?

Various sensors and wiring down there. Fuel pump mainly.