Questions about front wheel bearings

red-finder

I think my front wheel bearings are going bad. I hear a humming noise that I thought was my tires wearing bad, but yesterday I held my head out the door while driving into my driveway and the noise is coming from the front hubs. They are making a grinding sound.

My question is have they gone to far to just get repacked or will I need new bearings too? How much does it cost to get these things done on the average? I have a mechanic that does work for me that I can't do, and he charges me a pretty fair price. I just don't know what to expect on this job.

If it's more of a high pitched squeal, it could be a rock between your brake sheild and the rotor too. It makes a kinda metal on metal sound that doesn't change with brake pressure. Try going side to side somewhat hard (like you're warming up your tires in a NASCAR race :D ), if the sound is worst when the weight of the vehicle is on the side making noise, it's probably a bearing.

it could also be the dust guard attached to the back of the caliper. They tend to get bent and rusty. Mine were rubbing against the edge of the rotor making a similar sound.

I know its not the brake pads. I just put new ones one about a month ago and haven't had any problems out of those.

I do hear a popping sound when you go slow and turn the wheel. That's why I think its the wheel bearings. Its not a squealing sound its more of a growling sound or a low grinding sound.

I have about 140k miles on it. When do you usually have to service the wheel bearings? The rear ones were done about 2 years ago, but I can't remember what that cost was, and are the front ones about the same amount of work? -thnkboutit-

The popping noise you describe sounds like it would be the steering stops... check in the common prob/fixes thread in the garage.

Front wheel bearings aren't tough after the auto hub comes off there is a snap ring for the drive axle. Then a lockwasher type thing that is held on with a couple of philips to a crazy hub nut. The nut is circular with two holes to tighten it. There is supposed to be a tool made for this but I've just used a screwdriver and a hammer. I've also heard that a spanner wrench would work. Then inside the wheel bearing housing you have an inner and outer race and bearing. Take them out and clean them up and look for pitting and other uneven wear patterns.

Question. Your Pathy wouldn't be auto locking hubs by chance? If they start sticking, you will hear a grinding wizing noise that will get a little louuder till you get going slow enough to engage the other one hense the pop when the opposite side engages. Try hauling your rig in 4x4 and try it again, if it stops you foud your problem. If it is your problem take your hubs off and grease them.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I do have auto hubs I'll try the 4x4 test to make sure that's not it. I don't think its the steering stops because it makes the noise when you just turn the wheel slightly not turning it deep.

Red-finder,

I have had the same problem on my 2001 and have not been about to find the problem. I have two noises:

1. A high pitch whistling. From the post I have made I think its the bearings.

2. The popping noise from the front end. I have reduced the problem and believe it is the torque on the front end bolts. When I took the car to Nissan he tightened everything and I think he actually over tightened it. I brought the pathy to a friend who re-torqued the connection to the LCA and itr got much better. I think I just need the whole front end re-torqued to solve the problem.

~jrvanas