Help Definately Needed

Kittamaru

Am I an idiot for trying to do this myself?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Am I stupid for trying these repairs myself?

• Yes, drag her to a pro
    • No, it's how you learn
    • The Caek Is A Lai

Okay, found something that bugs me:

normalcs.jpg

That's on one side of what I assume is part of the steering system...

Well, on the other side:

brokeno.jpg

I'm assuming it is also supposed to be clamped tight along that rubber grommet? Well, it isn't. In fact, that rubber U shaped thing is free to move around and the carrier isn't touching anything at all...

what is this, is it as bad as I assume, and how do I go about fixing it?

Note, the truck IS lifted off the ground (weight off the wheels) at the time. This was only revealed after removing the front skid plate.

Steering Rack bushing if I recall. and it should be clamped down like on the other side.

Oh, learn to use macro mode on your camera, lets you take up close pictures of stuff without fuzzy/unfocused results. It's usually a flower icon on most point and shoot's.

Brought it to the local auto parts store - they had a diagram of it listing the rubber part as the Sway Bar Bushing, so I'm assuming the clamps are the sway bar anchors or something like that... which they don't have. Nor do the other parts stores around here. UGH

I'm going to have to try and find a junkyard with a pathy in it or bite the bullet and buy it from the dealership...

And though all this... I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND THE BLOODY COOLANT DRAIN PLUGS! Lol... ugh!

That is the front sway bar and it looks like the the drivers side clamp has broken in the back, probably rusted through. If this is the case, a new bushing will not help as nothing will hold it. Its not really a big deal so tackle the other things first. Do look at and feel the clamp though so you know why it is like that.

And damn, do something about those photos, it like a yak spat on them or something!!! P...

B

Oh, the coolant drain plug is on the drivers side bottom, on the engine bay side, way in the corner and only about 1" long. It is a pain to get at if you have big hands so use pliers or something appropriate.

So the truck IS safe to drive with only one clamp then?

And thanks for the tip on the plug - I have pretty poor lighting atm so I'll try my best (primary torch burnt out, doh)

its safe to drive, all your sway bar does is control body roll as you go around corners, that being said, the sooner you change it the better its gonna be, the more you bend that metal the more of a PITA its gonna be to get all of those bolts out...... also, i wouldnt run that truck much with the oil the way it is, not wise man, expecially with an older motor.

Oh, the truck is up on jack stands in my garage :P I'm driving a Jeep GCL atm, lol.

Update:

I got the front wheels off in prep for checking the wheel bearings, brakes, and all that... drivers side CV Boot is ripped (again)... I don't know why as the thing is NOT lifted at all... but both UCA's are shimmed to hell and back (at least 4 shims in each). Also broke a wheel stud on the drivers side... damn thing was fused solid, even tried an impact air hammer and no dice. I finally had to use a breaker bar and snap the stud itself off... not what I wanted to do at all.

I'm going to take pictures tomorrow as an update. I have some rust spots in the wheel well area to take care of. Want to see what ya'll make of the UCA setup... I think it looks wrong, but I'm no mechanic.

For the CV Boot - what is the chance that I can just replace the boot and go about my business? It's probably been ripped all winter... so I'm guessing the CV Joint is going to go south soon isn't it... ugh. I'd like to go back to the shop that replaced it and beat their ass...

I still haven't done transmission or coolant... was looking to do the oil pressure sending unit, but I'm not entirely sure what to take off, everthing is so thickly coated in oil. Going to have to find a way to clean it off... I see bare wire in there too (silver wire?) that's clean... kinda odd. I have the new sensor, just haven't gotten to doing it yet.

The truck runs a little... odd... atm. Makes some odd noises, I'm hoping because of the crap in the cylinders (from checking/regapping the plugs and the carb cleaner) and the @!*% in the oil. Going to do the oil change as I do the sending unit.

Hopefully I have another full day off next week... won't know till I get my schedule tomorrow... god I hate working retail sometimes...

Hopefully I have another full day off next week... won't know till I get my schedule tomorrow... god I hate working retail sometimes...

I work retail too, thankfully we get our schedules 1-2 weeks in advance. So right now, I know what my schedule is up to april 10th, it's pretty nice for being able to plan stuff

Aighty, doing some digging online, I'm seeing that AutoZone has lifetime warranties on their CV joints - would they be decent quality? How difficult (from 1-10) is it to replace the CV Joints?