Proper Timing

PATHRIDER

ok guys i just set my timing to 10 instead of 15..it seems that its hesitating more on 15 than it is on 10..when I have it set on 15 it feels like its not as responsive when i punch the gas pedal unlike when I have it set on 10...idle is at 800 and it does idles a bit rough..Cleaned my mas sensor and have a new plugs cap rotor and using ngk plug wires.

any ideas fellas?

very odd. mine struggles to Idle @ 10 deg. I been pushing the 15 deg mark for some time now.

Could there be an exessive build up of carbon deposits inside your combustion chamber?

Hows your spark plugs?

Edited by MY1PATH

I just replaced the plugs with ngk gapped at .032...the old one I could not remember how they looked like.

I can pull out the new one tomorrow and see how they look like.

How do i check for build up on my combustion chamber bud? Would you recommend sea foaming it?

run higher octane gas maybe ?

Thanks

Edited by PATHRIDER

Check the ECU for codes first. Not sure yet after that. I know the wiring connection to my TPS has issues, perhaps you have something of the same. Wiggle every connector you have with the engine running and listen for change...

B

Check the ECU for codes first. Not sure yet after that. I know the wiring connection to my TPS has issues, perhaps you have something of the same. Wiggle every connector you have with the engine running and listen for change...

B

Thanks B. Ill check for error codes today....another thing i forgot to mention is I washed the motor after the tune up. Maybe theres some moisture left on one of the sensors or connectors. Ive always washed the motor on my other pathy but it was always done in the summer

good thing about owning 3 vg30 is I can apply whatever i learn here on all of them :beer:

Edited by PATHRIDER

Is the tps supposed to be unplugged when you check the timing?

Higer octane would allow you to advance your timing but all your really doing is covering up another problem.

A seafoam treatment(or atf or water thru a vaccum line) may clear up deposits. if you get anything other that white smoke you prolly did some cleaning '

...There are many mixed opinions weather or not to use these cleaning methods.

Lastly, some people have made the mistake of thinking the first timing mark is -5(or +5) so when they set 15 they are actually setting it to 20(or 10).... the first timing mark is "0"

Edited by MY1PATH

Is the tps supposed to be unplugged when you check the timing?

Higer octane would allow you to advance your timing but all your really doing is covering up another problem.

A seafoam treatment(or atf or water thru a vaccum line) may clear up deposits. if you get anything other that white smoke you prolly did some cleaning '

...There are many mixed opinions weather or not to use these cleaning methods.

Lastly, some people have made the mistake of thinking the first timing mark is -5(or +5) so when they set 15 they are actually setting it to 20(or 10).... the first timing mark is "0"

I read somewhere on here about the tps being unplugged when doing the timing..not sure on that but I did not unplug my tps when I set my timing. I marked all the notches on my crank pulley with a white marker and theres a total of 7 (0-5-10-15-20-25-30)

I seafoamed my other pathy couple of years back and it scared the heck out of me coz it didnt start blowing white smoke till I got to walmarts parking lot which is about 10 mins drive from my place. I might have done it differently though.I poured half on the gas tank and the other half on the oil..I did not do the brake booster vacuum line.

Im going to try the ecu check and if it doesnt show any error codes (I hope) ill try to set the timing with the tps connector off..Sorry guys if I dont update you right away on these problems . Been working on my 3 pathys all at once trying to get them all taken care of while I have some free time. I really appreciate all you guys input and tech advice :beer: :beer:

You shouldn't get any abnormal exhuast unless you put it thru a vaccum line.

Feed it thru a vacum line, about 4-6 oz, little by little @ first and then fast towards the end so it starts to stumble and then kill it for 10 min. start it up, I may start rough and drive it hard to blow all the crap out.