Intermittent Fuel Smell (Leak?)

psych0path

I have owned my pathy for about 2 weeks now, 95 XE Sport with 233k kms on it, and on three separate occasions I have smelled raw gasoline fumes inside. The first time it happened I thought it was someone elses car, there was an older boat of a car in front of me and I figured yeah this guy is pumping gasoline straight out his tailpipe... then the second and third time it happened I pulled over immediately and popped the hood. I could smell it very strong under the hood, like the air coming up from the fan had a constant strong gasoline odour, yet visually I cannot see any leaks or any problems. I checked at the tail pipe to see if the exhaust could be the culprit, but it smelled normal to me, no excessive odour.

Anyone have any thoughts? Normally I would just wait until I took it in to see a mechanic, but I have to drive this thing to work every day, and I don't want to end up with a fire under my hood or something. The previous owner complained about bad gas mileage too, but I personally thought it was rather good when I got 450 kms on my first tank... any thoughts on that?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments on this, I am hoping it's not too big of a deal. Going to pick up a fire extinguisher in the meantime... you know... just in case ;)

steve

Open your hood when the vehicle is off, take a look at the fuel rail and get a clear picture of where the hoses are located, then go inside fire it up and then run back and watch the fuel rail. there's a couple of clamps there that are notorious for being loose and fuel spills out. tighten them up and your problem will be solved.

Its a really common occurance and something that many many members have had happen.

Just snug up all those hose clamps on the fuel rail. Takes you 5 minutes. I did that to my pathy when I first got it just to prevent this issue. Some were getting loose.

Thanks Dowser, pointed me in the exact right direction. I opened the hood when it happened again, looked under the throttlebody area and saw a piece of hose connecting the two sides of the fuel rail, two clamps on each, hose looks pretty old. Completely soaked in fuel. So I am going to grab a new piece of hose and re-install.

Thanks again Dowser and adamzan!

:)