buying a 1990 2dr SE V6

Guest chuckeye

Guest chuckeye

I was just wondering about the engine and drive train with these rigs. I'm looking for an offroading machine. But these are pretty much stock right now.

well, go with the lowest amount of miles... I haven't experienced really any problems with the motors. the exhaust manifold studs breaking is the only "major" issue i can think of, I didn't have those problems on either of my pathys. auto trannies need an external oil cooler pronto.. check the fluid there to get a possible look at their condition... there are also some issues with the steering components but i haven't had any that were a huge headache...

there are lsd (orange sticker) and non lsd rear diffs.

i love my manual tranny in wheeling situations and think it's way better then the auto...

Guest chuckeye

I looked at one with only 123k miles but It looked like it has spent it's time back east (I'm in Oregon) and there's considerable rust on the metal under the door (where nerf bars would go), not sure if it can infect the rest of the rig but it doesn't look very good.

It drove pretty good and the engine/drivetrain seemed pretty solid.

Is this a deal breaker or should I try to get the truck for a song?

Hey chuckeye. My rule of thumb is that if I see significant rust, I walk... Even if you can live with the body/frame rust, when you work on it bolts/parts will be frozen, will strip, break and be a general nightmare; even mechanics will charge extra. To me its not worth a price break, and there should be plenty of unrusted ones around. Good luck !

Bernard