How Do You Know What Gearing Your Pathfinder Has?

new4x4r

Does anyone know how to figure out what gearing your truck has? Is there a code in the VIN or is it stamped on the rear diff. cover or something? I know pretty much nothing about gear ratios and whatnot. So any help would be great.

Edited by new4x4r

Does anyone know how to figure out what gearing your truck has? Is there a code in the VIN or is it stamped on the rear diff. cover or something? I know pretty much nothing about gear ratios and whatnot. So any help would be great.

There's an info plate inside the engine bay, on the passanger side I believe, that has your gear ratio etc.

http://www.driverside.com/specs/nissan-pathfinder-1998-2513-5503-0

Steve! Where do you find all this good stuff!? So should I be looking into getting the 4.6?

I say going from 4.3 to 4.6 is a waste of money considering you are going with 35"... If you do not want to break everything, you could really considering this : https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=165_494&products_id=4076 .. This will bring your TC ratio from 2:1 to 3.7:1.... This will greatly help your 3.3 ..

so if I went with the new reduction gears is there a Pinion and Ring gear I should swap into the rear end? or are those not a option for the R50?

The reduction gears are gears you change within the transfer case, and you keep your existing 4.36 in your diff.

There is also a new set of gears ratio availale at ruggedrocks. You can choose from 4.8 up to 5.8. The vad thing of this is that your high gear will also suffer from it and the price is basically the same. http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/pathfinder-differential-gears-c-38_854.html . Not to mention that if you do not know how to adjust the gear lash and setup a diff properly you will need some help from someone that knows... usually money will be involved for the install so that your gears last a long time.

Changing the gears in your tc is just a matter of changing parts. There is no adjustements to be done and only your low range will be changed, which is what is important on the trail.. going from 2:1 to 3.7:1 is like going from your 4.36 to 8.08 . So in my opinion you get the best of both world..

Edited by fleurys

Imo change your r/p in your thrid members. If you want to do it cheaper than those new gears you can look around for some Xterra 4.9 gears.

If i'm not mistaken, the xterra have the r180 in front not the r200 like the path...

Unfortunately the 4.9 Xterra gears and the other 5.XX ratios won't work for the R50 front diffs. It will work in the rear, but not the front. Highest that is available for the front is the factory (in some cases) 4.636 gears.

Why do steevo at rugged rocks list them has being compatible for r200 up to 2004 pathfinder ?? maybe someone could ask him...? http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/pathfinder-differential-gears-c-38_854.html

I've tried running my VIN on the decoder sites and using the self decoder... Nothing comes up for the gearing of that model. Its just where it was build and what engine it has, stuff like that. I don't have and HG numbers or anything in my Numbers either.

IF I were to have (or got them if I don't) the 4.636:1 gears and got the reduction gears for my TC. You guys think I would be ok with the 35's? That is if they fit... hahaha

I've tried running my VIN on the decoder sites and using the self decoder... Nothing comes up for the gearing of that model. Its just where it was build and what engine it has, stuff like that. I don't have and HG numbers or anything in my Numbers either.

IF I were to have (or got them if I don't) the 4.636:1 gears and got the reduction gears for my TC. You guys think I would be ok with the 35's? That is if they fit... hahaha

I think if you get both the 4.6 gears AND the TC gears, you would have one hell of a crawler here...little calculation : (first gear(2.79) * TC ratio(3.7) * gear Ratio(4.636) * 2 (auto trans)) = crawling ratio of : 95.71

Considering a rubicon has a 73:1 ratio with the 4:1 TC and 4.10 gears, I say yours will go up just fine !! :-) the beauty of this is that you will be able to go easy on the fun pedal when crawling and save your rig...

Sometime i whish I had the tx10 for the TC. I have been searching a way to change the ratio for my atx14a and it's not going to be easy. Since it uses a completely different system (sun gear and planetary like an auto trans), the modification is quite a bit more touchy than yours... I say this is (TC gears) a well invested 1000 bucks. I know I would if I could..

by the way, try to be ready for the end of may... I'm shooting to get some of you guys in here for a 2 days crawling fest...:-) stay tuned...

Edited by fleurys

Awesome! Thats what I'll look forward to doing... Now I just need someone named Steve to "lend" me his Locker ;-)

Sure anything for you rod...which one you want ...I got 2 now you know ... ;-)

Edited by fleurys

Really? Front and Rear?

looks like it .. I have a new switch in my dash.. :scratchhead: some pics here... http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq71/steve_fleury3/front-locker-bushings-shocks/?start=0

now I'm working on a new unbreakable half-shaft setup because I know it's coming... :skull::D

Edited by fleurys

As a daily driver the 4.636 gear upgrade is totally worth it. I am sure with the 3.3 that you will greatly appreciate the gear swap, I did and I have the VQ. I had JWT cams in my 98, with exhaust and an open air filter...it ran strong, but I can only dream of what that gear swap would have done. Oddly enough it was an XE with some oem upgrades like power windows and locks as well as an LSD 4.36