Trouble Shoot Ac/heat Issues

Looking for some thoughts on this issue.

My 97 ac/heat is acting weird. At the lowest setting 65 air or ac blow cold and normal. If I turn it up one notch the system blows heat with very little difference even at 85 heat. Now after about 20 min or so of driving on highway the controls start working fine and I get all the different cool to heat temps? I have replaced the controls thinking that was the problem and no difference. I know there is a temp sensor at the top of the dash and I am not sure what that does? I know there is a box at the lower portion on the center console that is acuated by the temp knob that could be bad maybe? Any ideas. It is not a great big problem just a pain when taking short trips and the heat gets so hot when on.

Thanks

James H

Hi James,

There are three sensors your auto AC vehicle uses to maintain the temperature.

1) There is an ambient temperature sensor mounted up front on the dadiator support.

2) There is the sun sensor mounted on the dash near the passenger side corner.

3) There is an in cabin temp sensor mounted to the right of the steering column.

Of the three, the 3rd one is the one I see failing most often, and it failing fits the symptons you describe. It is also the least expensive of the 3 sensors.

Hi James,

There are three sensors the auto AC system on your vehicle uses to maintain the temperature.

1) There is an ambient temperature sensor mounted up front on the Radiator support.

3) There is an in cabin temp sensor mounted to the right of the steering column.

Of the three, the 3rd one is the one I see failing most often, and it failing fits the symptons you describe. It is also the least expensive of the 3 sensors.

Hi James,

There are three sensors your auto AC vehicle uses to maintain the temperature.

1) There is an ambient temperature sensor mounted up front on the dadiator support.

Thank you for taking some time and giving me a reply!

I know where the two inside pieces are and I will check them out. I will give the radiator support out and see if I can find the other. Aby pics of it by any chance? Do you know if these are dealer only items or can they be got from places like rockauto?

Thanks again

James

I know where the two inside pieces are and I will check them out. I will give the radiator support out and see if I can find the other. Aby pics of it by any chance? Do you know if these are dealer only items or can they be got from places like rockauto?

Thanks again

James

Ok I found them, it looks like there are 3 sensors on the outside in the front bumper area so I did the good ol wiggle and shake repair method and I'll see what that does. Heading to salvage yard in next couple days to check out getting replacements off one there.

Thanks

James H

The sensor for the AC is different than the one for the digital thermometer on the roof, but they are right next to each other.

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I can send you the diagrams to help you out.

Thanks again

James

These things tend to be dealer items, but I cant say 100% that there is no aftermarket item for it. Dealer list is $65.69. I can do it at $42.86 + ship