Suspension, Springs.

Reenman

Hello

I own a 2001 st pathfinder with bfg at's, There only 29inch stock size tyres.

The delema i have is on the last trip i made into the Victorian high country (Australia, melbourne) i think i got a bit to confident with my stock setup and

found myself going down hills that made me want to change my underpants, at one stage i'm sure i had one rear wheel off the ground about 1/2 a foot, anywayz ok ok. :clap:

the 4x4 handled it well but because the front being so engine heavy i found i was bottoming out and i was collecting planetarium size rocks as i crawled down the hill.

I have thought about what i want to get out of my ride and at the start i was going to lift it as much as possible but now i think i would like a nice camping/tourer

that will still handle some heavy exploring.

I recently emailed 4x4parts.com about importing the 2 inch Deluxe AC lift kit you guys in America seem to like, warn manual hubs, 2 degree camber kit, because here in aus theres no full off the shelf 2 inch lift kit.

The delivery cost to Melbourne AUS was going to be an extra $450 AUS dollars ontop of the aprox $1600 for the 2 inch kit and extra gear.

I dont think i will go down that path for now.

So if, FOR NOW <---- Before my easter trip i wanted to get toughdog 35mm lifted springs wich i can get locally and try to use the stock black nissan pea shooter shocks for my trip, being a higher spring rate and lifting the 4x4 at least 1 inch or 35mm i hoped it would help a little with the sharp bottoming out, do you think this combo is do-able and ok to use for now because i aint rolling in it atm, once i get back i will match the spings with a full 45mm big bore strut and shock set. Also would i need the camber pin set?, will the stock adjusters pull the camber in or out enough? with only 35mm lift.

Thanks heaps for your help, if it cant be done i will settle for lesser tracks for a bit :thumbsdown:

I will try to post some pics of latest trips if i have some and if me being a noob can get it to work :scratchhead:

10837189438770414688125.jpg

I think this mud was developed by the Australian government to stop anyone with AT's thinking there top sh#t. :/

10837189438815414688125.jpg

I crossed this river without a snorkel, it hit just above the lights for a split second, there was a little dip on the way through. :crazy:

10837189438835414688125.jpg

69421468.png

imgp1499v.jpg

imgp1498.jpg

whatever you do, make sure it's your final decision cause it's a lot of labor to swap them springs out!

I have the old man emu springs, i think they somewhere around the 35mm mark and i'm happy with them. And with such a mild lift you don't need camber bolts or warn hubs.

Edited by FUELER

Thanks for the info....

i'm glad i can do it, i will just need a wheel alinement hey? whats the possibility of sqeezing 31 inch tyres on after the small 35mm increace, if i keep the stock width.

i would like to buy a set of weekend mud terrain tyres and rims so i can swap em for trips away.

What size tyres are you running?

After the lift, there will be no problem shoving some 31" meats under your rig at stock width. You may at the least have a slight rub at full lock. To fix that all you need is a heat gun and you can rearrange the plastic fenderwell. I along with several others are running 31s with no lift so you will be fine. Good luck and take pics!

You should be able to get OME springs there (ARB makes them) for a high quality spring and decent lift. And youmight be able to fit 32's with MINOR trimming with it. I run stock springs and 31's fit with no problem (goodyear AT/S)