Pinion Bearing

shortysmash

oh the higway when i give just a little gas i can hear rearend wining. when i let off of the gas it goes away. i checked the fluid level and its fine so im guessing it is the pinion bearing. Has anyone changed theirs. If so how hard is it and what not. and are there any special tools that i need

Thanks

to do it properly, your going to have to completely tear it apart.

You will need.

new bearings (very expensive)

seals

gear puller and press, Inch pount torque wrench

Dial / depth mic

Locktite

gear marking compound.

Possibly new shims for the pinion depth

If you have never done it before, have somebody else do it.

my pathy is an 01 but has 160k i changed the diff fluid about a year 2 years ago. i dunno if that is too long or what but others have told me that if its not leaking at the rear end or at the wheel axle seals then it should be good for a pretty good while. the whine only appears when a load is applied. i know that sounds like that are hard to isolate but i had a friend sit in the very back and he could hear it was coming at the back so i dunno.

yeah i dont remember what gear oil i used. its been a good while i just remember it was in a black bottle with green letters, not that that helps. the whine just started to be noticeable about a month ago. so i dunno what to do. i dont really want to take it to someone, if i can do it myself then i want to but if its too much then ill pay to have it done.

I have a 2001 too and I have been having the same noise coming from the same place. It's been going on since I have the path (about 2 years). It has not worsen or lessen and since I change my diff for an arb , all the bearings have been changed so I know it is not that (it was doing the noise before the change for the locker).... Since I was not changing gears, I did not change the pinion nor the pinion bearing.... now I wish I did.... All this to say that I fully think that you're right on with the pinion bearing....

I agree with 87pathy...don't do it yourself if you don't know how to set backlash etc...