Water Crossings >> Any Common Problems With R50 ?

FUELER

Hey folks,

Say you blasted a water crossing with a little more speed than you should have been going, and your engine shut off (but didnt hydrolock - intake tube was dry and clean) but engine was soaked from top to bottom in muddy water.

After that, it fired up and ran fine that day but started acting up a few days later. Randomly, it started backfiring and running very rough, no power at high RPMs, and within 5 mins it wouldnt even stay running for more than a few secs.

After changing the plugs, checking plug wires, cleaning distributor, nothing changed. I unplugged the MAF and plugged it back in, VOILA ran perfectly... for a few more days.

Started acting up AGAIN today, unplugging/cleaning the MAF did not work this time. I checked as many electrical connections as i could,

my question is, are there any common electrical problems i should look for after my R50's encounter with water?

also, now that it wont even fire up without running horrible and dieing, it shows a code of "camshaft position sensor" but thats without even turning on, thats just attempting to turn it on. Any ideas?

Edited by FUELER

I don't know the 3.5s well, but I would clean every prong/socket on the connector to the MAF sensor (not just the headted wires) and every other sensor under the hood. The slightest bit of water or dirty water can really mess up readings from various sensors. Leaving the dirty water wherever it may be could also cause long term corrosion.

The CPS should be attached to the base plate of your dizy that connector may be the culpirt hopefully not the acutaul sensor (inside that base). you can inspect the sensor for water damage by taking the cap and rotor off and then unscrewing the samped plate below the rotor. you see a little disc with allot of slots in it. It should be shiney and clean and none of the slots blocked by dirt.