1997 Vapor Canister

Before I start buying parts, I discovered my charcoal canister is leaking into the system (cel 1447)and it needs replace. I see post saying it van be had for $60. Everything I am finding is $140 price range and it is called a Vapor Canister (big box located left side of spare tire) I am assuming this is the same thing? Does it really need to replace the canister? I figure I can blow out the lines and clear the system of loose pieces.

Thanks

James

just clean it. Then go from there. start free, right?

I agree, I blew the lines out via the directions from the dealer and strangley enough I did not see any charcoal bits flying out? I did have the air flowing through so no clog in the lines. Who knows where it all went or was comming from. I guess I will keep driving it till it becomes a problem.

James

I had a problem with this system before, i blew out the lines (no bits of charcoal came out) and also used wd40 (or something) to clean up the valve(s) that attach to the charcoal canister. codes went away and never had a problem since. i think the valve was sticking. i posted about it ~ 2 years ago if you care to read more...

Well I stopped by the local salvage yard and will picked up the complete assembly with all valves and such for $35. I shook the unit and no charcoal came out or made and strange noises. They told me that if it did not fix the problem I can bring it back. I figure since my unit has the loose charcoal in it that this can't be any worse.

James

I think a few pply on N4w had simiar problems with there canisters where getting wet was the cause, I think some of those few took the canister out and let it air in a warm dry place and had no codes when they re-installed.

I think a few pply on N4w had simiar problems with there canisters where getting wet was the cause, I think some of those few took the canister out and let it air in a warm dry place and had no codes when they re-installed.

I pulled mine out last and once I got past 13 years of dirt and sand falling on me my canister had the charcoal brick break up for sure. I could pour the charcoal out of the box so it was bad. The new/used unit is solid so I rest the light blew out all the lines and cleaned all the pieces in the engine compatment as best I could so well see what happens.

James