Vehicle Speed Sendor A/k/a P500

JB3829

I did a few searches but didn't find what I needed......anyone ever have this trouble code or have to replace the sensor??? My '97's speedometer and odometer quit on me the other night. I checked alldatadiy.com and it says check the speedometer drive gear and vehicle speed sensor. Do I have to check both or just replace the speed sensor. Thanks!

Edited by JB3829

Same happened to me......Its been like this for 2 yrs now......I had a new sensor put in, but still has not fixed it......Its not my daily driver and I travel alot so wasn't in a major hurry to fix....also, mine is a manual transmission, so I didn't think it was a big deal to leave as is until I get around to fixing! I've been using my GPS as a Speedometer, And I'm the original owner, so I know how many miles are on the vehicle! Expect a couple hundred bucks for the part alone.....Dealer only Part.

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

Expect a couple hundred bucks for the part alone.....Dealer only Part.

Dealer told me that as well for my WD21. Although a quick swing around to Advanced Auto Parts I got the sensor for half the price.

Be prepared. If it's anything like the 94-95's the sensor isn't sold with the gear that is attached to it. The gear is seperate.

Thanks guys.......I found the part at rockauto for $130. The only problems are getting to it cause according to the repair guide, you have to lower the exhaust, remove the rear propeller shaft, etc., then remove the cover off the transfer case just to get to the speedometer gear to see if it's stripped. You can't just replace the speed sensor and hope for the best AND you need a working speedometer/odometer to pass inspection in PA. Aren't I lucky this happened when my inspection is due this month!?

Envy you, I do not...

B

I just might erase the trouble code JUST before I drop it off at the garage with my new handy dandy craftsman handheld check engine thingy.....at least I'll pass inspection and be able to work on it later this year!

I just might erase the trouble code JUST before I drop it off at the garage with my new handy dandy craftsman handheld check engine thingy.....at least I'll pass inspection and be able to work on it later this year!

Be careful with doing that, though. If your inspection is for smog, then the modern machines can tell if you've just reset the codes. You'll have to drive the car a few times in order for the ECM to delete the System Readiness Test (SRT) codes. If you don't, the SRT will throw an "Incomplete," meaning that there haven't been enough drive cycles for the ECM to perform all self-diagnostics. You'll fail the inspection and then have to pay for re-inspection. I know from experience!

People recommend driving the car for about 2 weeks after resetting the codes to ensure that all self-diagnostics are completed. I think that's a little much. Depending on how far you commute to work, a few days might be all that's necessary. If you have a more expensive code reader, or the Blazt system, it will tell you if the SRT diagnostics are complete.

--Howie

Howie makes a good point, this just happened to a co worker of mine. He had to drive the vehicle for almost 100 miles before it would pass emissions.

B

yeah....there is a procedure to reset the ecm diagnostics. I did a search for nissan drive cycles and found some info. You have to bring it up to a certain speed on the highway then let off the gas and let it slow down without the brakes, plus some other stuff. No biggy

It happened to me. Replaced speed sensor twice and tried all the nylon gears available, ended up changin the transfer case twice and finally got a good match up. NJ is the same no speedo no insp. pass. It's the gear in the case.