A picture of my ride

JamesRich

The air hammer didn't do much good. Build a puller type setup but use at least a 1/2" all thread rod. I still have around 1/2" to go to get the bushing flush. I grabbed a 7/16 all thread for my puller setup I put together and stripped it without moving the bushing at all! :headwall:

I'm about ready to setup one of my other toys in front of the pathy and teach it a lesson!

Picture071.jpg

There might be a pathfinder for sale cheap with no front end parts and a lot of holes in it!

James

don't want to seem like a total forum newb, but has this been covered on how to build the all thread puller? trying to imagine how it would work between the frame and the bushing... doesn't seem like it would work? are you drilling a hole and putting some washers or something like that?

Here is a picture of the suggested tool in the manual.

bushingtool.jpg

I'm just using a sleeve on each side of the frame with an all thread through the middle of the bushing and both sleeves. One sleeve pushes on the bushing while the other sleeve is against the frame.

I stripped a 1/2" all thread too, going back today for a 5/8". This has to work, The hole in the bushing wont accept larger than a 5/8".

James

Can you use a long hardened bolt??

B

I couldn't find any all thread rods harder than grade 5. I couldn't even find any fine thread rods.

I finally got the bushing flush though. I used a 5/8 threaded rod with union nuts. The union nuts are a little over 1" long so they have way more surface area. So this setup and a long 1/2 ratchet and I got the bushing pressed flush in the frame. It even bent the 5/8 all thread but didn't strip it at all. I think I could hang the entire truck from this bushing and it would not come out. It was a long battle (all day Sunday and three days after work) but I won in the end! Good thing though because the torch was next.

James

• 1 month later...

First clean out the hole the bushing is going in with 1000 grit sand paper then freeze the bushing ( I leave it over night ). The bushing will then go in alot easier, also use lube at the same time! The freezing of the bushing shrinks the metal sleeve in size!

Edited by 885SPD