Terrano Transmision

camsonat

Hi to all,

I own a '89 Terrano with LSD and I think it's not working well. When I'm in 4x4, operating steering wheel and in reverse mode the rear axle seems to be hard to rotate. I'm new in 4x4 and I don't know if that is a normal operation for LSD. Sometimes I think I forgot to leave the hand brake. And sometimes I feel some shocks from the back when I change the direction from backward to forward. I have tried to find something similar but I haven't got any result. I made a complete maintenance to my car except changing diff oil. Thank you in advance.

Hello, and welcome.

Is this only happening when you have shifted in to 4Hi or 4Lo and does not have a problem in 2Hi? If this is true, are you using the 4x4 on pavement? If so, this is the problem. The 4x4 should only be used on slippery road surfaces. The front wheels and rear wheels are trying to turn at different rates and this causes one set to bounce. This can break something too, be careful.

this in really tight reverse turns I can feel my lsd clutches slipping. when I had an extra disc in the LSD the tires would bind and slip instead it was a little bumpy.

the other day I felt this again and I checked my diff fluid It was low so I assume this made the friction higher on the lsd causing it to lock up more.

Edited by MY1PATH

I'm using 4x4H on a iced surface mostly. I know that I don't have to use 4x4 on a dry road. Some gays from a 4x4 service inspected the entire shaft and they told me this is OK. When I'm in 2x4 everything is normal and easy. In the rest of time the car is running well and I don't have any reason to complain. Yesterday I had the longest trip whit it and I'm happy whit the fuel consumption which is about 13L/100Km. Thank you and Happy Holidays for everyone. :fireworx:

Edited by camsonat