Fuel Leak

Avus Blur

So after dropping $2k to get the O2 and MAF sensors replaced, I think I have a new problem. The last couple of times I filled the old girl up I noticed a rather strong gas smell, especially in the morning after its been sitting in the garage. Its not visibly leaking, but I am going getting 250 miles out of a tank so something is messed up. The smell isnt coming from the gas cap so I think the leak is somewhere in the line between the cap and the tank.

I tried to take the paneling off, but the bolts were really rusty and I snapped the head off one. Those little plastic screw things were confusing so I gave up before I stripped them. The wierd thing is the smell goes away after about a half tank so I dont if its sloshing out or just evaporating.

Either way, its probably not the safest thing to drive around at the moment. The sad thing is a kinda hope to walk out of work and see it ablaze in the lot so I get the insurance money. Im thinking about dropping it off somewhere, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Could it be the filler tube? I know there is a recall on these on the early R50 models... :shrug:

Recall eh? Im going to call the dealer today and see if they know anything. Just dont have the money to fix more stuff at the moment.

I had the same problem too back in Aug. I came to the garage smelling fuel and having inspected everything, there's no visible leak on the ground or anywhere in the vehicle. I took it to the dealer for the fuel filler recall, free of charge, and its fixed ever since...

I had the same problem too back in Aug. I came to the garage smelling fuel and having inspected everything, there's no visible leak on the ground or anywhere in the vehicle. I took it to the dealer for the fuel filler recall, free of charge, and its fixed ever since...

That appears to be the case for me too. Turns out the recall was from 9/2007. Got an appointment for Friday so hopefully my mileage will improve a little. Here are all the current recalls out there for the 2001s.

Used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Recalls Recall ID # 09E025000 - EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS - Get Details

Recall Date: MAY 11, 2009

Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS

Model Affected: PATHFINDER

Potential Units Affected: 42540

Recall Date:MAY 11, 2009

Model Affected:2001 NISSAN PATHFINDER

Summary:DOPE, INC. IS RECALLING 42,540 COMBINATION CORNER AND BUMPER LAMP ASSEMBLIES OF VARIOUS PART NUMBERS SOLD FOR USE AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT FOR VARIOUS PASSENGER VEHICLES. THESE HEADLAMPS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT." THESE LAMPS DO NOT CONTAIN THE REQUIRED AMBER SIDE REFLECTORS.

Consequence:DECREASED LIGHTING VISIBILITY MAY RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy:DOPE, INC. WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER A FULL REFUND FOR THE NONCOMPLIANT COMBINATION LAMPS. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 28, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOPE, INC. AT 1-626-272-1798.

Potential Units Affected:42540

Notes:DOPE, INC.

Recall ID # 06E026000 - EXTERIOR LIGHTING - Get Details

Recall Date: MAR 23, 2006

Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING

Potential Units Affected: 61944

Recall Date:MAR 23, 2006

Summary:CERTAIN PRO-A MOTORS CORNER LAMPS, TURN SIGNALS, AND HEADLIGHTS SOLD AS REPLACEMENT LAMPS FOR USE ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES LISTED ABOVE. SOME COMBINATION LAMPS THAT ARE NOT EQUIPPED WITH AMBER SIDE REFLECTORS FAIL TO CONFORM TO FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT.

Consequence:WITHOUT THE AMBER REFLECTORS, THE VEHICLE WILL BE POORLY ILLUMINATED, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

Remedy:PRO-A MOTORS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER TO REPURCHASE THE LAMPS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 3, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PRO-A MOTORS AT 323-838-2988.

Potential Units Affected:61944

Notes:PRO-A MOTORS, INC.

Recall ID # 07V435000 - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLER PIPE AND CAP - Get Details

Recall Date: SEP 18, 2007

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLER PIPE AND CAP

Potential Units Affected: 372250

Recall Date:SEP 18, 2007

Summary:ON CERTAIN VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, IOWA, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, KENTUCKY, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MARYLAND, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, TENNESSEE, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA , WISCONSIN AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, DURING THE COATING PROCESS OF THE FUEL FILLER TUBE ASSEMBLY, AN INSUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF COATING MAY HAVE BEEN APPLIED AT THE LOWER MOUNTING BRACKET. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN OPENING IN THE COATING WHICH CAN ALLOW WATER TO ENTER AND MAKE CONTACT WITH THE BARE METAL OF THE TUBE.

Consequence:THIS MAY RESULT IN SURFACE RUST BUT NOT PERFORATION OF THE TUBE. HOWEVER, IN THOSE AREAS OF THE COUNTRY WHICH USE HEAVY CONCENTRATIONS OF ROAD SALT IN THE WINTER, IF A MIXTURE OF SNOW/WATER AND SALT MAKES CONTACT WITH THE BARE METAL, CORROSION MAY OCCUR TO A DEGREE WHICH RESULTS IN PERFORATION OF THE TUBE. IN THIS CASE FUEL LEAKAGE MAY OCCUR WHEN FILLING THE TANK. FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL FILLER TUBE ASSEMBLY WITH A NEW ONE WITH AN IMPROVED COATING PROCESS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 26, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

Potential Units Affected:372250

Notes:NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.

Recall ID # 01V282000 - STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS - Get Details

Recall Date: AUG 30, 2001

Component: STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS

Potential Units Affected: 31000

Recall Date:AUG 30, 2001

Summary:VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. SOME OF THE BRACKETS USED TO ATTACH THE TWO GAS STRUTS TO THE REAR DOOR (HATCH) MAY HAVE BEEN IMPROPERLY MADE. AT HIGH AMBIENT TEMPERATURES, THE INCREASE IN GAS PRESSURE IN THE STRUT(S) COULD CAUSE ONE OR BOTH BRACKETS TO BEND, RESULTING IN THE STRUTS DETACHING FROM THE BRACKET(S) WHEN OPENING OR CLOSING THE REAR DOOR.

Consequence:IF BOTH STRUTS DETACH FROM THE BRACKETS, THE DOOR WILL RAPIDLY FALL DOWN, POSSIBLY STRIKING SOMEONE AND CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY.

Remedy:DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE STRUT BRACKETS. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN SEPTEMBER 24, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

Potential Units Affected:31000

Notes:NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.

Recall ID # 09E012000 - EXTERIOR LIGHTING - Get Details

Recall Date: APR 07, 2009

Potential Units Affected: 16270

Recall Date:APR 07, 2009

Summary:SABERSPORT IS RECALLING 16,270 COMBINATION CORNER AND BUMPER LAMP ASSEMBLIES OF VARIOUS PART NUMBERS SOLD FOR USE AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT FOR VARIOUS PASSENGER VEHICLES. THESE HEADLAMPS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT." THESE LAMPS DO NOT CONTAIN THE REQUIRED AMBER SIDE REFLECTORS.

Consequence:DECREASED LIGHTING VISIBILITY MAY RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy:SABERSPORT WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER A FULL REFUND FOR THE NONCOMPLIANT COMBINATION LAMPS. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON MAY 11, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SABERSPORT AT 1-909-598-7589.

Potential Units Affected:16270

Notes:SABERSPORT

Recall ID # 06E049000 - EXTERIOR LIGHTING - Get Details

Recall Date: MAY 24, 2006

Potential Units Affected: 27176

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2001/nissan/pathfinder/recalls/index.html#ixzz0ZC7bRSyL

So after dropping $2k to get the O2 and MAF sensors replaced, I think I have a new problem. The last couple of times I filled the old girl up I noticed a rather strong gas smell, especially in the morning after its been sitting in the garage. Its not visibly leaking, but I am going getting 250 miles out of a tank so something is messed up. The smell isnt coming from the gas cap so I think the leak is somewhere in the line between the cap and the tank.

I tried to take the paneling off, but the bolts were really rusty and I snapped the head off one. Those little plastic screw things were confusing so I gave up before I stripped them. The wierd thing is the smell goes away after about a half tank so I dont if its sloshing out or just evaporating.

Either way, its probably not the safest thing to drive around at the moment. The sad thing is a kinda hope to walk out of work and see it ablaze in the lot so I get the insurance money. Im thinking about dropping it off somewhere, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced this.

I have the same problem on my 95 XE. But I see where its leaking from...up front on the engine.

If you have the hood up, and are looking at the engine, you will see just under the Distributor Cover a small rubber connector tube that seems to be "bridging" across an engine flex point. It has two hose clamps on each side. When the car is not on, I can see wetness there that is definitely gas. (finger test)

With the truck on, I can see the occasional drop of fuel fall off this tube.

Hope this helps with the Search. I will post back once I replace the tube with new piping. Looks to be 1/4" tubing, about 4 inches or so long.