Grease Gun And Cartridge

vanuatoo

I'm going to lubricate drive shaft and decided to buy a cartridge type grease gun.

I've found many choices on amazon.com.

Can you recommend one?

I just need simple, cheap one. Also what grease do you use?

Nissan recommends NLGI No. 2 (Lithium soap base) for drive shaft.

Do you still have the two piece axle shafts?My 95 doesnt,and I believe the 2 piece axles where only a 87 2 wheel drive thing?I maybe wrong though...Look at the amsoil site,they have greases for everything...

I've looked at the manuals and I have only one nipple to grease and it's on the front drive shaft.

Amsoil and Mobil 1 both have synthetic greases. Is it safe to use? I mean is this the same case as with engine oils where you can safely buy synthetic because it's better than conventional?

I've looked at the manuals and I have only one nipple to grease and it's on the front drive shaft.

Amsoil and Mobil 1 both have synthetic greases. Is it safe to use? I mean is this the same case as with engine oils where you can safely buy synthetic because it's better than conventional?

Mobil 1 is a great all-purpose grease - it would be just fine for a drive shaft. I use either Amsoil Multi-purpose NLGI 2 or Mobil 1.

the difference in synthetic vs. standard grease is pretty much the same as syn vs. regular motor oil . the syn grease should provide a little more protection from wear (reduced friction) and more resistance to heat but I wouldn't say that it's as crucial on a driveshaft, hub, or wheel bearing as it is inside a modern gas engine.

Edited by CaughtLikeFire

Mobil 1 is a great all-purpose grease - it would be just fine for a drive shaft. I use either Amsoil Multi-purpose NLGI 2 or Mobil 1.

the difference in synthetic vs. standard grease is pretty much the same as syn vs. regular motor oil . the syn grease should provide a little more protection from wear (reduced friction) and more resistance to heat but I wouldn't say that it's as crucial on a driveshaft, hub, or wheel bearing as it is inside a modern gas engine.

I've found many greases on Amsoil site and all the greases that are NLGI 2 are also synthetic.

Mobil1 seems to have only one universal multi-purpose synthetic grease.

OK, question for all you guys:

What do I have to lubricate? Where can I find all the points (nipples), I was

taking mine regularly to Nissan dealer for oil changes, but I am not positive

they put grease at all.

It's 2001 XE

On my 2003 SE 4wd there is a one nipple on the front drive shaft.

On 2wd models the nipple is located on the rear drive shaft. I guess there is one drive shaft on 2wd models. :)

Here is the picture from the FSM

greasingpoints.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'm going to buy this grease gun and use it with 14.5oz cartridges

http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Industrial-1134-Pistol-Grease/dp/B0002NYDZ8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I've also found Mobile Grease XHP 222 grease that is NLGI No. 2 certified and is lithium complex based.

I don't know if my car was lubed with the previous owner and it was not lubed in my hand since October 2008.

Is it safe to do 4-5 shots or more? I don't want to have some problems because of "overdosing".

I know that it's safe with U-joints.

Also is there any notion from nissan of how much grease you should use every lubrication?

Normally when you add grease to zerks, you pump until you see the old grease being pressed out and you begin to see new grease. Though, I suppose that could be different on a driveshaft. To eliminate it being thrown all over the underbody just wipe off the excess.