Vg30I Ignition Timing Off.

bigsyke

I recently purchased a 1987 Pathy, vg30i. Ive been fixing a whole slew of things, and recently I went to check the timing.

The VG30E FSM shows 0* the furthest mark on the crank pulley, and 30* the furthest right. I noticed my Distributor was rotated fully "counter-Clockwise". I checked the timing, and according to the Crank pulley, im running at 30+* btdc.

Now is there a way I can just pull the dizzy up, rotate it say "counter clockwise" to give me room to get it back it 12*?

I have no FSM, and am completely lost on how I can get this thing reset/retimed back to 12*.

Does anybody have a method for the VG30I?

Thanks.

Put a timing light on the crank pulley and turn the distributor until it reaches 12 degrees. Actually while you're in there, set it to 15 degrees. Better fuel economy and less bogging down.

The thing Is I cant turn it to 12*, I cant get any lower than 30*. I can only advance it, not retard it. This is where im thinking the previous owner took the dizzy out and put it back in a tooth off.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Hopefully MY1PATH will read this and post up his information. He's got a pretty detailed set of instructions for messing with the distributor on these trucks. :)

here I are!

Ok, lemmie find it...

I'd rather cut & paste than type it again lol enjoi

• Remove your cap from the distro and trace the #1 wire to the # 1 point. (the wire orientation and the points orientation are not the same)
  • now using a large wench on your crank bolt turn your engine untill the timing mark lines up with 0 on the ballencer (the first tick mark on the left)
  • Now with the rotate the rotor to just a little before where the #1 point would be (10 o'clock pos IIRC) and insert it into the head. It will turn a little when you insert it and once it has done this it should end up facing the #1 point.
  • If it seems like its pointing more towards where 2 or 6 should be then pull it out and ajust your starting point so that it finishes @ #1.
  • once lined up put you cap and wires back on and get the engine warm (slowly, don't rev it untill the timing is set correctly)
  • set Idle 600-700 with no a/c radio or ligths etc
  • Base timing for 90+ is 15 BTDC & 12.5 BTDC for the pre 90. Setting timing to 14-15 makes for a litte more highway friendly ride
  • set your idle back to normal 800-900

Edited by MY1PATH
  • Like 2

Well after many hours, I got the timing to 15. However at 15*, The idle is horrible. In park/Neutral the idle will fluctuate around 400-1.2k and in drive it will nearly stall. I couldnt even get it to run on 12*. I did have sparkplug wire #5 snap at the boot, I dont think it could be the cause of what im experiencing (unless VG30i's are different and the broken wire will make them hardly idle)

Im curious to think, if the timing belt is off a tooth my worst fear would be these symtoms being the result of that. The engine ran flawlessly (low power) when the timing light showed 30*. (i dont know if the dizzy was ever removed before)

Edit: Fixed- I think with the dizzy timing off soo much when I was trying to get it timed again, I blew off all of the vacuum caps.

Now my engine smokes from the crankcase hose!!!! :headwall: Milky sludge under oil cap.

Edited by bigsyke