Drive train info

johnm

Hey all, I just need to verify some drive train info before I get to changing fluids.

for my 99 SE 4x4 it should be:

Front diff is open, gets API GL-5 80W-90

Trans is automatic, Nissan Matic "D" or Dextron III

Transfer gets Nissan Matic "D"? (or does it get 75W-90 API GL-4)

Rear diff is LSD, get LSD GL-5 80W-90 Oil? (on other LSD equipped cars I've had this means it has friction modifiers in the oil, which can also be added separately)

I've looked at the service manuals I have and it's not really clear to me so, I'm asking for a little help.

Hey all, I just need to verify some drive train info before I get to changing fluids.

for my 99 SE 4x4 it should be:

Front diff is open, gets API GL-5 80W-90

Trans is automatic, Nissan Matic "D" or Dextron III

Transfer gets Nissan Matic "D"? (or does it get 75W-90 API GL-4)

Rear diff is LSD, get LSD GL-5 80W-90 Oil? (on other LSD equipped cars I've had this means it has friction modifiers in the oil, which can also be added separately)

I've looked at the service manuals I have and it's not really clear to me so, I'm asking for a little help.

80W90 GL5 in both differentials. I use Amsoil 75W90 Severe Gear synthetic and it's great. I did not need friction modifiers for the LSD if you decide to go that route.

Transmission and transfer case get the same Nissan auto trans fluid. I use Amsoil synthetic in my transfer case but I have a manual trans so I can't comment personally on the shift quality. Friends with higher torque, larger trucks swear by the Amsoil though for auto transmissions. I'm not sure how much the Nissan fluid goes for these days but the Amsoil is very reasonable given it's 100k mile service life.

This might help you out too:

CAPACITIES:

Engine, with filter..........4 quarts [1]

Cooling System, Initial Fill..........11.1 quarts

AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant

Automatic Transmission, RE4R01A Initial Fill..........Not Specified

Automatic Transmission, Total Fill

4 speed RE4R01A..........9 quarts

Manual Transmission, 2WD..........5.1 pints

Manual Transmission, 4WD..........10.6 pints

Differential, Front..........3.9 pints

Differential, Rear..........5.8 pints

Transfer Case, Part-Time..........4.7 pints

Transfer Case, All-Mode..........6.4 pints

[1] After refill check oil level.

TORQUES:

Oil Drain Plug.....22-29 ft/lbs

Manual Transmission

Fill Plug 18-25 ft/lbs

Drain Plug 18-25 ft/lbs

Transfer Case

Fill Plug 18-25 ft/lbs

Drain Plug 18-25 ft/lbs

Edited by CaughtLikeFire

be carefull with the latest reply for the transfer case.... those who have the atx14a need to put transmission oil (dextron III), because this tc has set of cluth pack a bit the same as in a automatic transmission. If you have the AT10X, then you have a regular TC that needs something else....I just can't recall what type of oil, but I know it's not ATF...

If you have a dial inside the cab that you can switch to auto for the TC, then you have the later model (atx14a)....

be carefull with the latest reply for the transfer case.... those who have the atx14a need to put transmission oil (dextron III), because this tc has set of cluth pack a bit the same as in a automatic transmission. If you have the AT10X, then you have a regular TC that needs something else....I just can't recall what type of oil, but I know it's not ATF...

Are you certain? I have used ATF in my T-Case (Manual lever style) for both my pathfinders. I am pretty sure what I dumped from both of them was ATF, not very thick, just dirty.

If you have a dial inside the cab that you can switch to auto for the TC, then you have the later model (atx14a)....

Older TX10's took gear oil. Newer ones specify ATF. That said, I ran gear oil in my 95 because I was concerned with seepage between the tranny (manual) and the t-case.

My thought is, run the same fluid in the tcase as in the tranny. That way, if they cross contaminate.....it's the same fluid.

See this is why I think I was confused, were 99 models built with both 14a and 10x transfer cases? And how do I tell which is in my truck?

do you have 4x4 on a knob, or 4x4 on a huge lever, or both?