Strange noise in 5th gear

Toby

Got a temp tag for the Nissan today. Drove it around (using my GPS for my speedo) and noticed in 5th gear I got a weird sound. I can't describe it entirely. Like a whining kind of. It only does it while accelerating in 5th gear. By that I mean just maintaining speed. Cruising it doesn't seem to make it. And it doesn't do it in any other gears.

Also is it just me or does it seem that 5th gear is WAY out there? I thought I didnt have 5th for a minute.

I dunno if it's because the truck sat for a little while or not. Seems to be my only concern. Engine runs fine. Outside of the speedo and exhaust leak everything seems to be in great condition.

Also got a slight tear in my front left CV Boot. But it's really tiny. Going to put some adhesive on and patch it tomorrow. this thing with 5th just has me puzzled.

Do you know about the TSB that recommends 'overfilling' the manual transmission with 5.1 liter of oil? If not it is pinned in the Garage section, and if so, is your tranny overfilled?

B

Do you know about the TSB that recommends 'overfilling' the manual transmission with 5.1 liter of oil? If not it is pinned in the Garage section, and if so, is your tranny overfilled?

B

Haven't found the TSB's on them yet. I'll look for it.

My transfer case is going to be flushed in a few days when I get the speed sensor replaced. I take it for that Monday.

But it's just weird. I really can't describe it. Also is it just me or does it seem like 5th gear is really far away?

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2621

It is pinned at the top of this section, I should have just posted a link to begin with.

B remember when my tranny made that noise?

It still does in 5th but making sure my t-case(which blew a seal) was full made it allot quieter.

Interesting point.

B