Grind grind grind

Tungsten

My starter grinds from time to time at start up. I think this is probably because its gooed up. I got the oil filter relocation kit from Summit for this reason. Now since the headers are going in I think its the time to maintenance it. I'm planning to get the headers done at a shop because of the studs. Got a question though, should the starter be cleaned or replaced? I don't really want to go to the dealer but then again Autozone might give me a dud. Perhaps anyone can hook me up with a Nissan OEM starter?

Edited by Tungsten

My starter grinds from time to time at start up. I think this is probably because its gooed up. I got the oil filter relocation kit from Summit for this reason. Now since the headers are going in I think its the time to maintenance it. I'm planning to get the headers done at a shop because of the studs. Got a question though, should the starter be cleaned or replaced? I don't really want to go to the dealer but then again Autozone might give me a dud. Perhaps anyone can hook me up with a Nissan OEM starter?

you could try taking it out and hitting it with a ton of electrical cleaner.

i think the autozone ones have limited lifetime warranties, but you would have to check on that.

yes. autozone has starters with lifetime warranty but these suckers can be hard to get out. i've had bad luck with their starters on other vehicles.

yes, they are a pain to get out - especially on an auto.

i think there is a starter rebuild thread in the how-to section also.

yes, i think 88 wrote about it once a while back.

the starter in my 5 speed is a total pita to get out.. mainly because it will not fit in between the exhaust and the edge of the engine bay.. it has to come out via the CL. :(

same with the autos. cept the metal auto trans lines make that space even smaller. after doing it a few times the 5 speed seems sooooo much easier.