noisy manual transmission path 1990

chapter

Mine does the same thing..... exactly....and only in those gears as well......from what I've heard (I'm not 100% sure) it's probably a bearing (front?) in the transmission that is shot. Mine's been like that for about 30,000Kms, and it's still okay......but I don't know for how long... Sorry I couldn't be more help.....maybe someone else will know. :shrug:

Simon,

My Pathfinder is exactly like your Pathfinder! It's a red one like that. Do you have the 31'' tire on it? I removed them long time ago to chang for 235 75R15 because it was better in snow. How many km you have on it?

I'm pretty sure the problem I have comes from a bearing ...

By the way, do you have a problem of floor heating under the driver position?

Thanks!

Yeah, Mine's got 206000Kms on it, but I got it with 118000, and it was pretty beat up.

I have 31"x10.50x15 on it, and they're AT's. I haven't had a problem in the snow at all.

I did have a problem with it heating up under my right foot, on the driver's side, and I found out that I had a hole in the floor right under my foot!!!! P... There's a heat shield (a big one) that's attached to the floor in that spot, on the bottom of the truck, and mine rusted halfway off. So I fixed the hole in the floor, and used an old heat shield I had ripped off the exhaust before, and riveted it to the existing shield. Seems okay so far. :aok:

Anyways, hopefully someone will know what's up with our trannies!!!

Just did one about 5000Kms ago.....fluid looked okay.......though, I'm not sure what was in there, whether GL-5, GL-4, or otherwise. There was very little in terms of shavings and such in the fluid.

Does anyone know how much fluid should actually go in the Manual Tranny? I know that the fill hole is too low, and that you have to put more in than if the hole were lower, but exactly how much fluid does it take? :shrug:

I've looked in the Chilton's manual, and my owner's manual, and neither states the capacity! P...

Mine does the same thing..... exactly....and only in those gears as well......from what I've heard (I'm not 100% sure) it's probably a bearing (front?) in the transmission that is shot.    Mine's been like that for about 30,000Kms, and it's still okay......but I don't know for how long...  Sorry I couldn't be more help.....maybe someone else will know. :shrug:

Ditto.....although I never bothered to see what gears it is in; I just turned up the radio :D When i did a fluid change it definitly helped but was still nosiy. I've also been thinking about trying 100% lucas oil stablizer to quiet it down. The little advertisment / demo in SHucks recommends that.

By the way, do you have a problem of floor heating under the driver position?

:laugh: I had that problem that I am pretty sure was from an exaust leak. After a little road trip I tried to clean the carpets but my floor mat on the driver side was melted to the floor. My shoe was also flattened along the heel from the heat. :laugh:

Thanks for the replies. I know GL-4 is supposed to go in there, but I'm just not sure if the previous owner knew that, as I know a lot of people are under the impression that GL-5 replaces GL-4. P... -alcohol- .

Anyways, Mine is a 4wd, so I guess I'll put in 4.5qts ( :shrug: ) and see if it helps. I'm probably going to mix half Lucas Oil Stabilizer just for a laugh.

For my transmission I'm pretty sure it's a worn bearing inside because it's OK on 4th speed. When you are in 4th speed there is no gear, the engin drive the wheel directly and that's why there is no noise... So, it will stay like that until it brake!!!

Simon, you said that there was an heat shield under the right foot on the driver seat. On mine there is nothing... There were heat shield over the exaust pipe, kind of clamp shell but there are gone since a while...

So what kind of heat shield you used and where you put it??????

Well, I still had a piece of the original, to rivet a piece of metal to, so if you don't, then you'll have to buy a whole new one, or fabricate one out of metal. I don't know what it would cost to get one from the stealer, but that'd be the easiest....

Mine is 1990 and if you look in the haynes manual there is no heatshield at this position... The heat shild were around the exaust pipe and there is nothing now. If I understand you, you're heat shield is attach to the floor, is that right??? May be this part is only on the 1995 so they correct the problem over the years...

Please give me more info about that.

Thanks!

Yeah, there was a shield attached to the floor, just about the spot where your right foot would sit on the driver's side. (only, on the bottom of course). Not sure if it was ever there on the 1990's or not, but I know it was on the '95. Maybe it was added on a later year model. :shrug:

Not anymore!!!!! I've undercoated the whole truck, so it's covered in about 1/4" of rubberized undercoating. Best bet would be to go to the dealer, or call, and explain the part, and I'm sure they'll be able to find it. Just say your Pathy is a 95, instead of a 90!