No Joy in Mudville

beachbum

I bought my '95 PF LE with a non working speedo/odo thinking it was a minor thing (cable replacement).

Then I find out it has a speed sensor.

Pulled that out and it looked normal to me, then I found out it was supposed to have a gear on the end.

Ordered the gear from McKinney (big red one) and everything was fine, CEL went out, spedo worked, didn"t get far enough to check the odo as it all went bad again in 500', CEL back on, no speedo.

I pulled the sensor and found the gear totally chewed up like an apple core.

I checked around and found out there are multiple drive gears that fit the sensor.

So far I have installed the red one, about 11/16" diameter, and chewed that one up, and a blue one, about 1/2" in diameter which must be too small because I still have no speedo.

Does anyone know the part #'s or existance of other drive gears?

This truck is a recent purchase and it appears the transfer case was changed so it may not be a '95.

I don't want to have to scrap this truck but in NJ, no speedo/odo, no inspection sticker.

There were 2 standard gears that they made at that time, one that went with the 4.3 axel gearing and one that went with the 4.6 axel gearing. If it is getting chewed up, you might want to pull the T-case and open it up and see that there isn't any debris getting flung around inside, and that the drive gear inside is in good shape.