Newbie looking for some advice from the pro's

2001Pathy

Ok guys,

Here it goes. I have been in the market for a used 2 door Pathy and have finally found one. However, I have some questions to ask about this model (which I should have asked before).

I have previewed the truck and for the most part it looks solid. Rust below the doors is pretty bad, haven't looked at the frame. He has replaced the rad, replaced the shocks on all 4 corners, pretty good rubber (which will be scrapped for larger M/T's) and it runs fine.

Going from pretty much a mint, unabused 2001 Pathfinder LE, I am in the dark as to what I should keep my eye out for when I get it out for a test drive. Other than the typical 4 low, turning from lock to lock, figure eight circle they encourage you to do during a test drive, what else should I do?

What are some trouble spots that I should be aware of on this model year?

Please help!

change the timing belt as soon as you get it home

pull the fill plug on the tranny to make sure its over full. the original fill location was too low. there is a TSB about this.

(assuming a manual tranny)

if its an auto tranny, plan on changing it..lol

Here is a little compilation about exactly the same thing...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20670

As 87pathy said, rust on the frame, especially the rear and under the seats. Bring a hammer and use it...

Unless there is documentation, plan to change the timing belt and maybe some other items under it.

If it is an auto tranny, check the fluid and consider an aftermarket cooler and tranny flush.

Anyway, that link should cover 95% of things...

B

Took your advice and went back with a hammer.... Don't quite know. Frame behind the rear tires sounds solid but looks like @!*%! I might have to walk away from this one....

post-5519-1252682736.jpg

post-5519-1252682745.jpg

post-5519-1252682756.jpg

post-5519-1252682893.jpg

post-5519-1252682904.jpg

Edited by 2001Pathy

I am by no means a pro, but I would check the 4x4 train for operation. 2HI-->4HI below 25mph (40kph?), maybe even jack the whole thing up and engage 4HI/LO, cycle through the gears, etc.

I also read that the previous owner replaced the radiator at some point - an indication that it may have overheated in the past??