SAS Question

Ok, so as some of you know I jacked up the IFS on my 87 2 door the first time I took it out, but what can you expect from a $500 truck that's been sitting 6 years...

Anyways, I got a parts wagoneer that has all the suspension under it but was really wanting to go with coils up front instead of leafs. If I did that, I would need some kind of linkage up front and was wondering if there was a way to use the came kind of link setup the rear has on the front. I ask because I have a parts pathy that I could cut this off of and hook up to the front. I haven't looked at it because I'm at school and 100 miles away from my project vehicles.

Would this setup work or are there things in the way up front that aren't in the rear?

Thanks for the help! :beer:

Ok, so as some of you know I jacked up the IFS on my 87 2 door the first time I took it out, but what can you expect from a $500 truck that's been sitting 6 years...

Anyways, I got a parts wagoneer that has all the suspension under it but was really wanting to go with coils up front instead of leafs. If I did that, I would need some kind of linkage up front and was wondering if there was a way to use the came kind of link setup the rear has on the front. I ask because I have a parts pathy that I could cut this off of and hook up to the front. I haven't looked at it because I'm at school and 100 miles away from my project vehicles.

Would this setup work or are there things in the way up front that aren't in the rear?

Thanks for the help! :beer:

well, aside from the whole steering thing, you could probably utilize the control arm mounts......and the ends of the control arms, and rig the mounts from our rear axle onto the new front axle, and likewise with the frame side mounts, and just box in stuff and you could probably mount them back enough that they wouldn't be effected by crossmembers and such, and as long as you could use some DOM Tube, and craft some longer control arms to compensate for the mounts being further away......You would probably have to fabricate spring and shock perches, but you could also probably use the axle side perches from one of our rear axles as a basis for the new axle.

I'm still assuming this is a trail-only rig, and will probably be trailered to and fro.....cause if not, you would have to figure out sway bars and such

so many people asking questions about SAS's these days.

most of the questions are general mechanics questions.

if you cannot answer them yourself, you have no business doing it.

not just a dig on you soccerstud.. but the others as well.

Stand back and look at the geometry, do you think the rear suspension would work? or something simliar to it?

why not post up some of your ideas and ask for advice.

not just.. will the same suspension in the back work inthe front.

simple answer, NO.

same thing i told nismojunky.... in the end its not worth it if your gonna put all this time and effort do a 3 link with a panhard bar.

" it would workbut youll lose articulation compared to a 3 link w/ panhard or triangulated 4 link. the reason being the link ends will bind under articulation but youll gain some back depending on the links end. the 5 link screads the load across more of the frame then say a radius arm. if you gonna put the design and effort to do a coil set up i would do it toward a 3 link with panhard for the front. 4 link front ends have steeering issues and would probably have to go to hydro steer because the tri 4 link would casue major bumpsteer....IT all also depends on what your using it for. are u planning on street driving it "

you could theoritically do it.......

would it be good for a front suspension. NO

would it be good for articulation and offroading. NO

is it worht the time and effort. NO

Take your time doing these things right the first time not worth rushing into it and doing it wrong...

something ive learned is that i wish i woulda saved up more and not gone with leaves but doen some type of coilover or coil set up from the get go. though while leaves are easy i want more . lol and take your tiem figuring out all the brackets and everythign as well as crossmembers cause if you dont youll end up redoing em and its a pita

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to start acquiring parts and this helps a lot.

It will be just a trail rig, at most just a driving to the trails but most likely just getting trailered.

Appreciate the info and don't worry 87 pathy, I don't plan an trying to jump into anything I don't understand on a SAS alone, I have a friend that used to do a lot of these kinds of things and volunteered his work to help me out.