suspension question

Tsingson

Hey guys. I have a problem. I have a 1993 WD21 and I just learned that I had broken the bar that connects the lower control arm to the frame. I have no idea what this part is called and I need to order this part ASAP. If anyone knows what this part is called, please let me know so I can get my Pathy on the road again. Thanks guys.

Anthony

They may carry it. A junk yard would be a good bet if you're on a budget.

It's referred to as a compression rod, strut rod, or tension rod. Just because the guy at the parts store is too stupid to cross reference names doesn't always mean they don't have the part.

I replaced the one on my drivers side about 2 monts ago and I called around to a pepboys, auto zone, and Napa and none of them knew what I was asking for or carried it. Had to go to the dealer to get it.

Bushings - $21.53 x 2

Nut - $5.28

Collar - $7.95

Tension Rod - $48.15

Washers - $7.59 x 2

Total: $119.62

I ended up getting just the tension rod and the 2 bushings - they had a 15% off sale when I got mine so it wasn't too bad. I found washers(flat), the collar, and the nut (Nylok) at Sears Hardware for about $7 total, or so...

I wouldn't drive it unless you abs have to with that broken, you'll be dealing with the "death wobble" at higher speeds, and u'll probanly trash your control arm bushings too.

Chances are a used one is worn and rusted a pretty fair amount, I would just do it right the first time and not worry about it later.

edit - you'll also need a 24mm open end wrench to get in there and tighten it. There wasn't enough room to get a socket on mine. fyi... 24mm = 0.94488 inches so u might be able to get away with a 1" wrench.

Edited by ChaosSaint

Just replaced it with a brand new one from the stealership...funny thing though...when i lowered the truck down off the jack the side that i changed the tension rod on ended up being slightly higher than the other side...any ideas why? should i replace the other tension rod and bushings as well?