my automatic and I hear a slight click near

suzonka

ronplanes@optnline.net

question, if you don't mine but it seems you know a lot about pathfinders in this forum, question may be a piece of cake for you to answer. today while in park and engine running I step on the brake to release the shifter from Park on my automatic and I hear a slight click near the shift in the consol area ,step on the brake again same click ,then put it in drive no click ,put it in neutral no click, what do you think it is , it almost sounds like a solenoid click or the lock release that doesn't let you shift out of park without your foot on the brake,? anybody ever hear this little click sound ,radio off and quiet ? If you got an automatic try it let me know

yeah mine does that too, I imagine they all do

I just assumed it had something to do with releasing the parking pin, since you need to have the brake in to do this.

Not exactly something to worry about.

yeah mine does that too, I imagine they all do

I just assumed it had something to do with releasing the parking pin, since you need to have the brake in to do this.

Not exactly something to worry about.

thanks a lot what a relief to hear is normal, I saw a section in the manual to do with a small screwdrive and unlock a shift release, but why do that then it could slip into gear and if you have a kid or a dog in the pathfinder its not to safe.thanks I knew it would be a piece of cake for guys like you that really get into these pathfinders , its my first and the next thing I wanted to do was change the oil and filter,but I think I have to remove a big plastic cover under the front.

Hey I'm no expert. That click could be the fuse to a small nuclear warhead. I think I know what it is, I don't actually know for certain. It just doesn't personally give me any cause for concern :)

thats the shift lock solenoid doing its job like its supposed to.

Notice that when you dont step on the brake, you cannot get the shifter out of Park.

Step on the break just enough to hear the audible click, now you can move the shifter into any gear you like.

note that this is for PARK only, the shifter does not lock in any other position

thats the shift lock solenoid doing its job like its supposed to.

Notice that when you dont step on the brake, you cannot get the shifter out of Park.

Step on the break just enough to hear the audible click, now you can move the shifter into any gear you like.

note that this is for PARK only, the shifter does not lock in any other position

thanks for the information, I thought I was hearing things when I first heard it but now that you say you hear it and a lot of others guys get the same noise ,then its normal they mention a way in the manual to get the little cover off then I could lube it up with wd 40 , but if its suppose to make that noise I wont take it apart leave well enough alone .thanks again.

That little cover is for the override for the solenoid. In case it fails (or it has to be pulled onto a flatbed and there are no keys) you can stick a key or pen into and be able to take the truck out of park.

beck_ddr_R50_shift-lock-solenoid.jpg

This will save you some trouble if you are curious to see what it is. While I don't recommend it to anyone else, I modified mine on both vehicles.

A wife of one of my coworkers had a car that was designed to have the car in park before you could take the keys out. It was new (had like 800 miles on it), and the switch in the shifter malfunctioned. She tried for hours to get help until her cell phone died. She walked back inside her work to call her husband, and someone stole the car. Insurance wouldn't pay because 'she left the keys in the car' and the dealer said 'oh yeah prove it'. I left that job, so I'm not real sure how it turned out. Anyway, I dont like "safety" BS telling me what to do.

beck_ddr_R50_shift-lock-solenoid.jpg

This will save you some trouble if you are curious to see what it is. While I don't recommend it to anyone else, I modified mine on both vehicles.

A wife of one of my coworkers had a car that was designed to have the car in park before you could take the keys out. It was new (had like 800 miles on it), and the switch in the shifter malfunctioned. She tried for hours to get help until her cell phone died. She walked back inside her work to call her husband, and someone stole the car. Insurance wouldn't pay because 'she left the keys in the car' and the dealer said 'oh yeah prove it'. I left that job, so I'm not real sure how it turned out. Anyway, I dont like "safety" BS telling me what to do.

thanks, thats a good picture and now I understand its operation,