New member, just saying hi!

Chipmunk

Hi everyone I'm new here. Just got a 1994 Pathfinder LE and looking to modify it a bit. I have to say right off the bat I love this truck already! I've been frequenting this forum and decided I should just join. So, I'm looking for some advice. I use this car as my daily driver, but I would like to start taking it offroad (I'm going to take it out today). I want to give it a little lift (3"). I'm not super mechanically inclined, but I'm learning everyday. I've read a lot of the posts on here about lifts and would like to know what people think. I want to keep the quality of the ride on the road, but also make it better off road. I also don't have a whole lot of money to throw down on it. So, I think I'm wavering between the 3" bl from 4x4parts.com and the JGC coil lift. What do people recommend? THANKS!!

Welcome to NPORA and thanks for joining!!

In a nutshell, the body lift will just give you more wheel well/ body panel clearance (easier to work on also) while a suspension lift will give you greater sprung ground clearance and effect road handling/manners somewhat. You can always do both but mildly to get both effects. The 'poor mans lift' for the suspension is by far the cheapest.

BTW, a 3" lift is the tallest 'kit' available.

B

Thanks for the advice! The "poor man's lift" sounds like a good one for me! I noticed there's someone on here selling the JCG coils, so I might drop him a line. How hard would you say it is to install? About the only thing I've done is oil changes/spark plugs/changing tranfer case/replacing window motor (these was on a ford explorer). Also, what should be done to the front end after putting in the coils? I've read about adjusting the torsion bar and also about putting in UCAs. Any more advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks

Wecome Chip',

Check out the thread "rear spring options for wd21" There's all the info you'll ever need on the JCG coil swap. It's easy and cheap. Pay attention to the posts... there are SEVERAL different JGC coils available that will offer anywhere from 1.5"-3" of lift. Beyond that you can re-index you torsion bars in the front to level it (there's a thread on that specifcally also), but don't go too crazy or you'll wind ud with a way stiff ride and bent UCA's (upper control arms). Do a body lift only when you are ready to buy the tires to fit into the space you create - this is a body lift's foremost advantage (the other being added clearance for getting at/modifying other stuff). Suspension should be done 1st. Hope this helps.

G'day Chip, welcome. Some of here in Oz get excited every time we see someone from WA, but then realise that it isnt Western Australia.

I would definitely start with susp lift of some sort, let us know how the truck goes on its first wheeling adventure.

Hi Dave, Yeah sadly I'm from Washington, although Western Australia sounds better! I took it out today and had a lot of fun, nothing extreme just driving at this ORV park near Olympia. Do you, or anyone else have any advice about replacing the UCAs when doing the JGC lift? I've been reading up and it seems lots of people replace them when they do this lift. Since I'm not doing a body lift for a while, and since the JGC lift seems so cheap, I think I have the money to do that as well (someone on here said they got them for $160). Also, anybody know what size tires will fit after the JGC lift? Thanks

"Sadly your from wa"?? :wtf: Dam, I've lived all over the place, and this place has it all! I love WA

anyway, welcome to the forum! I'm not too far from you and go out to play in the cascades almost every weekend! I dont have a lift, and mine gets around great! :)

Thanks for welcoming me! And yes, you are right...WA does have it all, except for sunshine (although lately it's been like Southern California) and if I hadn't grown up here I would have probably moved here...does that make sense?

Hi Dave, Yeah sadly I'm from Washington, although Western Australia sounds better! ...Also, anybody know what size tires will fit after the JGC lift? Thanks

You in a far better place than Australia in that you have WATER!

I have 33" tsl's on mine but even with the rear fenders trimmed RIGHT TO THE DOORS they rub like hell. Then again I have no rear bump stops either, but my 31" mudders barey rubbed. I'm doing a 2" body lift to alleviate the issue.

Good to see another member from Washington. There are quite a few on here. :coffee!:

Where are the pics?

I'm about on my third cup of coffee this morning! I'll try to get pics up soon...need to get batteries for the camera!

If you have your rear bump stops in place and you're willing to do MAJOR fender trimming, I think you'd get away with it. If you're rig came with stock fender flares, trace along the upper edge of them, remove them and use a pair of tin snips or a sawsall to trim the fenders along the line you made.

If you have your rear bump stops in place and you're willing to do MAJOR fender trimming, I think you'd get away with it. If you're rig came with stock fender flares, trace along the upper edge of them, remove them and use a pair of tin snips or a sawsall to trim the fenders along the line you made.

Hmm, I'd like to stay away from trimming...just have to wait for a bodylift...