What parts are needed for total front spring/strut swap?

madmike283

Hey guys, sorry if this has been posted before. I can't seem to find an answer in searching.

I'm curious to know exactly what parts to get if I want to fully assemble the front end strut/spring combo so that I can swap everything in one shot. I'm thinking of going with one of the lifts available and could do it easily at a friends house if everything was a bolt-off/bolt-on swap. I'd ideally like to get all the parts and have the front struts fully assembled by a shop, then take the old off and slap the new on. The rear should be foolproof as it's only springs and shocks.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

When I did the lift, I used AC lift coils, KYB GR 2 Strut, Strut bearing (from dealer), Two (I tried one, not enough angle) Camber adjustment bolts (http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=IEC-I-81260&dds=1 .... Best place to get them, two per box... thanks Fleurys!)

and some spring compressors (you can rent/borrow those from most parts shops... I bought mine from a place called Princess Auto and returned them the next day ;-) haha

I see now, sorry for starting the thread... although it looks like another person or two might have been wondering as well.

So, is there an easy way to have the dealer put together the entire strut mount? It seems like a pain to have the parts only listed as single parts. I see that everyone should stay away from the KYB mount kit, how about the Monroe or Raybestos kit? Maybe I'll call the local dealer or one of the favorite online dealers to ask them and hope that they know each piece that I want to build a complete upper mount.

EDIT: It shows here http://www.autoanything.com/Parts/PartsPro...-springs-67-893 that the KYB is an OEM replacement? Interesting. Anyone know anything about the MTC mount? Just curious...

Edited by madmike283

you can get a complete strut mount kit from the dealer.. it was $400 and something Cdn, but you'll have peace of mind knowing its all brand new. My truck only had 150 000 kms so I opted for just the bearings.

I'm no expert compared to others here, but I just did all this work this weekend. I replaced the OEM bearings and strut dust boots/bumper, added AC lift springs and KYB GR2 struts and Warn hubs, but kept everything else on the strut mount, as it appeared to be in good shape. A local Pep Boys (I'm also in Colo.) assembled the struts for $43, as the spring compressor I rented couldn't safely (IMHO) compress enough to assemble the strut. I thought the ride would be rough, but it's really not too bad - just feels solid.