Tire Size Question

tgullo1983

OK Ive been doing a lot of research on getting a lift for my 01 PF and Ive kinda decided that I dont really need to get the 2" lift for the amount of off-roading I do. It just seems like more trouble than its worth having to worry about cv boots ripping and struts topping out.

On the other hand I do want to get some new tires for my PF, and maybe take that drag car look out of it that it has.

My Questions

Is there a simple way to take that drag car look out of it without tightening the torsion bars? Maybe a leveling kit or a strut spacer or something?

Next question, What size tires can I fit with no lift kit on my stock rims without rubbing in reverse or turning? I was thinking of getting the BF GOODRICH ALL TERRAIN TA in a 245/75/16. Will this work

Thanks for the help, I want to get some new tires on asap before you know it the snow will be flying here

your pathfinder does not have torsion bars. to level the front, you'll need strut spacers.

245/75 is kinda tall, and you might rub. i'd recommend a 245/70 or 255/70 if you want to be sure you won't rub at all.

your pathfinder does not have torsion bars. to level the front, you'll need strut spacers.

245/75 is kinda tall, and you might rub. i'd recommend a 245/70 or 255/70 if you want to be sure you won't rub at all.

what size strut spacer and where do I get them from?

i have 245 75 16 on my path and it never rubs except for when i make a left in reverse. It rubs slightly then.

Isnt that the same size as stock? Anybody with the 255/70/16? I wanna make sure Im not gonna have to be cutting fender walls to stock rubbing

Isnt that the same size as stock? Anybody with the 255/70/16? I wanna make sure Im not gonna have to be cutting fender walls to stock rubbing

I've got the BFG/MT/KM2 255/70/16 mounted on a OEM Nissan wheel.

I have a stock (no lift), 2000 pathy that comes with fender flares as well - no rubbing at all.

In my opinion, the stock R50 comes with 255/65/16 tires and 255/70/16 is only ~1cm taller. I'm still using my 255/65/16 tires as spare. If that's what you want, I THINK you should be alright.

Edited by dududuckling

Have a set of 255/70/16 Scorpion ATRs on the stock 2000 SE wheels. Only rubs in full lock in reverse. The ATRs are basically a less aggressive AT tire. Great tire - just more road oriented.

Plan to go to a more aggressive 245/75/16 to get a little more clearance without the need to trim. From what I have read, they are the tallest tire that will fit the stock 16" wheels with no rub (may still rub in reverse at full lock).

dududuckling - can you post some pics of those km2s mounted? Got to be a great tire.

Edited by sthrnfat

I plan on getting the BF Goodrich all-terrain ta, just trying to get the biggest possible with no embassasing rubbing when I driving?

What about the strut spacer with that give me the room for the 245/75/16? Seems like it would be close by what you are all saying

Have a set of 255/70/16 Scorpion ATRs on the stock 2000 SE wheels. Only rubs in full lock in reverse. The ATRs are basically a less aggressive AT tire. Great tire - just more road oriented.

Plan to go to a more aggressive 245/75/16 to get a little more clearance without the need to trim. From what I have read, they are the tallest tire that will fit the stock 16" wheels with no rub (may still rub in reverse at full lock).

dududuckling - can you post some pics of those km2s mounted? Got to be a great tire.

Does full lock in reverse mean turning one side completely, and then try reversing? If that's the case, I've not noticed any rubbing at all while reversing in the carpark. Maybe I should listen harder...

In my opinion, the BFG/MT/KM2 tires are great on the rock, but aren't that great in the mud. My friend with a MT Baja Claw was doing much better and seemed to get more traction in the mud than the KM2.

These are the pictures:

Rear 3/4 shot:

P1030154.jpg

An old picture of the Front 3/4:

Exterior-Front3-40301092-Copy.jpg

I hope that helps.

Edited by dududuckling

Does full lock in reverse mean turning one side completely, and then try reversing? If that's the case, I've not noticed any rubbing at all while reversing in the carpark. Maybe I should listen harder...

In my opinion, the BFG/MT/KM2 tires are great on the rock, but aren't that great in the mud. My friend with a MT Baja Claw was doing much better and seemed to get more traction in the mud than the KM2.

These are the pictures:

Rear 3/4 shot:

P1030154.jpg

An old picture of the Front 3/4:

Exterior-Front3-40301092-Copy.jpg

I hope that helps.

What size tire are those on your PF duckling

With the 255/70/16 where is the closest possible place it can rub? And how much room do you have at full turn? Is it on the mud flap? Because thats an easy solution take the mud flats off the front

With the 255/70/16 where is the closest possible place it can rub? And how much room do you have at full turn? Is it on the mud flap? Because thats an easy solution take the mud flats off the front

I don't know the answer to those questions, but I shall check it out when I have the time.

I've never paid much attention to the rubbing issue since it never rubs at all. 255/70/16 is pretty much ~30" tire, maybe 0.5" different than the stock.

If I were to guess, I'd think the front mud guard in the inner wheel well is the one that you should be concerned of. I broke one recently while reversing at full lock. Prior to this, the screws holding it were loose and I was on the highway for six hours going at 120 km/h, which further loosened the mud guard. When I reversed at full lock, it broke the bottom edge of the mud guard. But if your pathy is nothing like mine, I don't think you should be worried about rubbing at all. :)

Edited by dududuckling

Ill go for it then Ill take the front mud flaps off, and put the 1" strut spacer on and get the 245/75/16. By the way it looks i have over an inch to the mud flap now with the stock tires so hopefully Ill be ok. Thanks for all the help