Seafoam revisited

westslope

GPG: Already read that one. No mention of synthetic oils.

Couldn't find a store open that sells Seafoam late Saturday afternoon so I bought a C$5 bottle of kleen-flo 5 minute engine flush. Seemed to darken the oil radically and bring out a lot more crud than usual.

Then I replaced the Mobil 1 5W30 with some Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W30 oil, once again replacing the filter with a Mobil 1 High Efficiency oil filter.

So far, so good. With luck, I should be able to go 1 full year or 15,000-18,000 km before the next oil change. Rated for 20,000 km or one year.

Edited by westslope

Sorry, I have no info about your first question, but...

Then I replaced the Mobil 1 5W30 with some Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W30 oil, once again replacing the filter with a Mobil 1 High Efficiency oil filter.

So far, so good. With luck, I should be able to go 1 full year or 15,000-18,000 km before the next oil change. Rated for 20,000 km or one year.

I don't believe it for a second.

Last oil change, I use Castrol semi synthetic, I saw the stuff I usually use and right next to it was Castrol semi synthetic extended performance that claimed I could run it for 10,000 miles and it was only 30 cents more a quart. This confused the crap out of me and I took both bottles to the manager (a guy who has a show car and is knowledgeable) and asked him WTF?? How can this be?? And for only 30 cents more? Why even sell the old style crap anymore then. Smells fishy to me, would you use it for 10,000 miles without changing it? He just looked at me for a minute then said rather quietly "Nope". I thanked him and that was that in my book.

I change the the Mobil 1 in the GF car every 5000 miles and that's as far as I would ever push motor oil... :shrug:

B

GPG: Already read that one. No mention of synthetic oils.

Couldn't find a store open that sells Seafoam late Saturday afternoon so I bought a C$5 bottle of kleen-flo 5 minute engine flush. Seemed to darken the oil radically and bring out a lot more crud than usual.

Lot of the guys in that thread run full synthetic.

Agree with B. 10,000 miles/oil change is really pushing it unless you're driving a late-gen BMW with BMW motor oil - and even then it'll yell at you around 8,000 miles. :)