Radio Brand Model Recomendations + remove ashtray?

GreyAliens

I'm exclusively a Kenwood fella purely because for my music tastes and the volumes I listen to my music at I haven't come across a better overall brand yet. But, in talking with my local car audio [specifically about Head units] he informs me that for normal retail brands he would put the top four as:

1 - Alpine

2 - Pioneer

3 - Kenwood

4 - Sony

He said the Pioneers do provide slightly better sound and overall quality than Kenwood and that Sony sound very tinny when compared to Kenwood. As for value for money, for the quality you get he said he'd personally pay the extra for the Alpine if he had the cash but if not, his preference would be for Kenwood. He said Pioneer really just don't provide the value of money of these other two preferred brands and that Sony is too expensive for what you get.

I hope this helps.

I just replaced my 93 stock radio with a Kenwood and four 5x7 Alpine speakers mounted in the stock locations using the factory grilles. I by-passed the old stock amps and disconnected the old stock tweeters. I got better sound than I expected plus modern stuff like built in aux and usb connections plus the ability to add sat and bluetooth modules later.

Edited by dhardison

• 2 weeks later...
I have a JVC and that plays dvds and it never skips It is single din and I love it

Just got a JVC with USB in front. Charges and plays from anything + HD Radio already set up. $130.

Just got a JVC with USB in front. Charges and plays from anything + HD Radio already set up. $130.

Sounds like the one my wife got for her VW, model # KD-R600. It's a great unit for the price.

As for those touting Kenwood, my 93 had one in it when I bought it, biggest POS, I'd never buy another (was so glad when it got stolen).

• 2 weeks later...

I got my truck with a Alpine that was made in 1999 that wouldnt turn down unless you hit the mute button and then went up and hit the up button(note the mute button would only lower it by 10 didgets at a time so if I had it at 20 I would kit it once and then go up one click and then hit it again.All the while driving down the road) I "upgraded" to a $5 jensen(made in 2000) that I bought off the street.Its better but the bass isnt as defind.Like if I'm listioning to jimi hendrix its kick ass.Loud,crisp notes.But if I'm listioning to deep purple of neal young or any thing with a lot of bass its horride.But thats probly because I killed my passager side 5x7 alpine(really theres no cone left, just the magnit) But I got some more brand new(a couple years old but never used)5x7 JBL's that are going in the front...once I get my passager side door to unlock.