exhaust

it seems that my exhaust is starting to die on me. first off, the muffler rattles like crazy, im thinking its the heat shield? and also there are noises coming from around my catalytic converter that sound like pieces clunking around inside. it almost sounds like when you stick a card in bicycle spokes. i could be wrong though. question is, should i start rebuilding my exhaust? im in the middle of saving for a lift. so its either deal with the exhaust sounds or wait to get lifted. how much are mufflers, exhaust systems, etc and which ones are good? i have heard of flowmaster, magnaflow...anything else? i have a 1999.5 pathfinder

have to agree with the above statement. These exhaust suck donkey...ears. My heat shield rattles like no tomorrow, and I'm guessing my cats were bad before because they are no longer there any more (previous owner, i assume). So don't worry about it and get the lift. :itsallgood:

Jose

My heat sheild was rattling like crazy. Several sections of the heat shield and most of the hardware holding it in place was rusted and breaking down, so I just cut away the loose heatshield with some metal cutters and no more rattle!

Plan to replace the exhaust at some point, but with the rattle gone it just dropped down several lines on my list!

You can cut the resonator off yourself very easily. However, you will want to extend a pipe out so all the exhaust gas isn't just venting underneath the rear seats. :)

My exhaust replacement costs were $250. $90 for the flowmaster from Amazon. $160 for the shop to cut everything out, buy some new 2.25" tubing and a Y-pipe and weld it on. Had a heat shield rattle in one place. Bent the shield back in that area and have been fine since.

You can cut the resonator off yourself very easily. However, you will want to extend a pipe out so all the exhaust gas isn't just venting underneath the rear seats. :)

My exhaust replacement costs were $250. $90 for the flowmaster from Amazon. $160 for the shop to cut everything out, buy some new 2.25" tubing and a Y-pipe and weld it on. Had a heat shield rattle in one place. Bent the shield back in that area and have been fine since.

2.25" piping is a bit too big...