NC/SC Trails?

sthrnfat

Looking for maps for trails in and around NC. My truck is stock for now so looking for trails that are more likely old fire roads or old logging roads - maybe just less maintained so they are a little more challenging.

Plan to head to URE to ride the easier stuff, but would also like to do some expedition style exploring. Have mountain biked URE, but haven't seen much of the ORV trails.

Any feedback on trails that lead to good overlooks in the mountains or anything like that would be great! Have also mountain biked in several areas in pisgah, but not sure if there are trails that can be driven there.

Edited by sthrnfat

* not sure if vehicles are allowed on the beech anymore.

they will always be allowed on the beach in Carolina Beach...the Feds gave them @!*% about it so now its not free...trying to preserve those "levee's" the slaves built to keep the union out of Ft Fisher even though its killing the backwaters and fishing...they just need to blow about a 200' hole in the wall and things would be much better but we can't have somebodies hardwork go to waste [/rant]

you can go out in the cut in NC nad SC if you know folks with private land to go wheelin...but as far as formal offroad parks URE OHV and Gulches OHV are all I know of...I know theres stuff in TN and KY and VA but its just a matter of if u wanna drive here or there

There is also Tellico in NC but I thought they closed or were trying to close it down...its over towards the hills

Yeah on Tellico, unfortunately. Where I live now is like an hour from there, but I used to live right down the road from it in Murphy....I still find plenty of forest service roads to play on in Nantahala Forest and surrounding parts.

Picked up a map at the Ranger Station in Pisgah this weekend. The map shows a range of roads and trails including several different paved road types, 'improved roads' which are listed as 'light-duty paved or gravel', and 'unimproved roads' which are listed as 'may not be passable for vehicles due to current conditions'. Sounds interesting. I plan to do some exploring to see what I can find.

I've seen pictures of some great trails that were old logging roads - can't find the links again to search out the exact locations. Nothing too crazy mostly overgrown double track, but enough to have to pick lines and a few shallow creek crossings. Not sure if those trails would even show up on a map, but figure it'll be fun exploring.

Will post up if I can find anything of interest.

I've seen pictures of some great trails that were old logging roads - can't find the links again to search out the exact locations. Nothing too crazy mostly overgrown double track, but enough to have to pick lines and a few shallow creek crossings. Not sure if those trails would even show up on a map, but figure it'll be fun exploring.

Will post up if I can find anything of interest.

While growing up in WV thats what we used to run all of the time in either 4wheelers or our trucks. Old logging trails & old strip mine trails, thats some of the hariest wheeling I've done.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Brown Mountain OHV park on Sunday. Good time, but the trails that are open to trucks are pretty limited. Lots of motorcycles and atvs out there so you have to keep an eye and ear out for them. All were cool and I just moved over to let them by.

Good stuff if you plan to be in the area but not worth a dedicated trip since truck trails are limited. Not sure of mileage but I'm thinking it's around 5-6 miles each way for a total of around 10 miles. You can always head back up as much as you want trying different lines.

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/br...ountain_orv.pdf

Main trail is a climb out to the top of Brown Mountain and then you descend back down the trail on what is the main connector 'road' that leads to all trails. Basically a rough access road with lots of water bars and some washout areas. It was fairly dry Sunday so I only lost traction for a second in a few spots when trying to climb steeper pitches. There are a few places where the trail is pretty narrow and has some steep side slopes beside the trail! The route is supposed to be 2 way traffic, but there are limited spots for 2 trucks to pass each other - but motorcycles and atvs could pass pretty easily. One truck would probably need to back up to a wider spot to allow the other truck to pass. All in all - a fun challenge.

Edited by sthrnfat