Can I Replace Front Axles Myself?

Guest 95928

if only your boots are split why not just replace the boots?

i did mine a few months back

do a search for cv/cv boots

there was a stack of info and a ok write up on it

search is at the top of the screen under the blue banner

well while I was under my truck i decided to just replace the axels while i was under there.

since the new axels have the cv boots already on them

also depending on how long the boots have been ripped the joints might be bad also from being dry or from the grease getting dirty and nasty and having the debree getting into the joints and wearing them out.

Having a whole new set of axels under there smoothed out the steering and the ride and if im not mistaken the axels drive the truck when in 4x4 so its probably better for the 4 wheel drive system too.

And the upper and lower ball joints rip easily if you 4x4 alot. one of my friends who has been 4 wheeling since he was like 11 or 12 yrs old said that if you do go 4x4ing alot to not even mess with the ball joints. and to just inject them with grease when they start to make noizes.

And one more thing GOING THROUGH DEEP WATER IS NOT GOOD FOR YOUr STEERING AND 4X4 COMPONENTS!!! I did that a few times awhile back (before the new axels and steering rebuild) and the water dried out the axels, ball joints and the 4x4 auto locking HUBs (pain in the a$$)

Guest GotPygmy93

They souldn't be too difficult to do yourself I just bought new ones for my truck the only thing that looks difficult is the auto locking hubs but even that isn't too complicated I plan on doing mine this weekend

They souldn't be too difficult to do yourself I just bought new ones for my truck the only thing that looks difficult is the auto locking hubs but even that isn't too complicated I plan on doing mine this weekend

the auto locking hubs will come off as one peice and dont need to be disassembled to replace drive axles or wheel bearings

I just replaced my boots as well. One thing to remember is that the axles don't turn unless you are in 4wheel. I ran mine with ripped boots for almost a year, but never put it into 4x4. there was a lot of dirt and grime in the joints, but they cleaned up perfectly and there was no wear. cost me $20 instead of $180.

:sniff: Sorry I didn't do a write up on this! I replaced my passengers half shaft. Be patient! It's not hard at all. A lot of disassembling, but not hard. If you have a Chilton, it will walk you right through everything. I used mine and it was my 1st time ever replacing a halfshaft. If you need some help, that is if you get stuck from the write ups, email me and I'll walk you through it. I guess first thing is first; when are you planning on changing the shaft out? One other thing about changing just the boots.....There are new boots out now that zip instead of having to take the shaft out....Reminder, they are only for the outer boots, not the inner! Just an FYI!

94 Pathy

Travis

tuhedz3netzero.net :beer: