Upper Engine Work

Madcat

What started as a spark plug change ended up as a 10 second inferno, which lead to the discovery of a carbon deposits up the ass.

I have a story for you folks, enjoy the read:

About a month and a half ago I wanted to do some basic maintenance on the engine. I did the distributor cap and rotor months ago, so I figure its time to change sparks and cables. While doing all this I accidently sprayed some castrol metal cleaner into the throttle opening. I needed to degrease the engine a bit because garbage was in the spark plug pits. I ended up dislodging a lot of carbon deposts in the intake manifold and on the intake valves, which eventually caused the valves to leak and the engine to sputter until stalling. I came to this conclusion after disassembling my TBI and intake manifold. Found out the EGR valve vacuum line was off and plugged with a screw. So either the EGR valve was stuck open or closed, getting the engine dirty at idle.

I had to flood the engine with ga, then crank. I had to do this several times to get as much crap out of the cylinders as possible. It worked pretty well, enough to get the engine back to life. At one crank I forgot to unplug my ignition coil from the transistor side and FWOOM! Raging inferno from all the gas splashed on the engine. A neighbor went "Holy Sheet!", I bolted inside of the house, and out lugging an extinguisher. Next thing theres a cloud of extinguisher dust and an untouched engine. Im not kidding, the engine was untouched, only some slightly melted wires. Hosed it down with water and flushed the engine again to prevent rusting.

Progress has been very slow on removing the heads because Ive always come up to some stubborn or difficult step. I was stuck for a week trying to remove the damper, and two days improvising to unbolt the cam sprockets. Bought a puller for the damper and used a chain wrench and a rag to unbolt the cam sprockets. You can only get so far when you work with some machines or devices because of some torque or requirement for a special tool.

Even if I wasnt going to that auto school, Id still be removing the heads off the engine. Im just much less paranoid about it as Im going to school for it. No matter what, I have to be careful, a lot of the parts are seized together and need to be tapped loose. This engine has never had this kind of service done to it since it was being assembled 20 years ago in Tennessee. Im opening a tomb here, maybe something in bandages will pop out.

I just got to a new roadblock: the exhaust pipes. The bolts are rusted solid. Im tempted to saw them off because they look rotted.

On a side note, youre a metalhead right Grim? Any song off the top of your head involving curses..mummy or otherwise? ;)

All Hail Eddie! \m/ >_< \m/

Oh and yesterday I sawed off one of the exhaust pipes. Right-hand cylinder head is off. I was right, black as night because of carbon. Going to fully disassembly and clean out oil sediment and valve seats.

Edited by Madcat