The 4.3 swap topic.

Guest SomePunkKid

I love my pathy. I really do.

But it's the most underpowered, sluggish thing I've ever driven on a highway.

We got no Nissan V8 in Australia to transplant (or I would).

As my 3.3 is perfectly healthy, though, I'm going overbore (3.5), K&N, chip, custom exhaust and supercharger. It'll cost a bundle but I got passed by an 18-wheeler going uphill on a highway last week. It was embarrasing.

Everyone's Pathfinder is their own and if they were all alike then this would be the most boring forum on the web, I reckon.

Good on ya SPK & SW.

(And Semper Chevrolet.)

I'm not really sure what all the whine of 'lack of power' is all about. Its a darn truck (ok, SUV, but very truck like in feel) and its not made to race. If I want to go fast/get there yesterday, I get on my 140HP motorcycle ! My basically stock 95XE with 31" tires (not stock size) cruises just fine at 70-75 MPH (as fast as I want to go) and will hold 65 mph in 5th (or 4th with acceleration) up any grade, although I have not taken it to 7000 feet elevation yet, I suspect it will be fine. If you are trying to tow a car trailer with a 57 chevy on it, well it wasn't designed for it. From what I read, a good breather, headers, and free flowing exhaust will give you up to 20% more from the motor (around 180 HP) which is plenty for this vehicle and thats not a difficult/expensive mod. The Pathy is rediculously reliable, long lasting, and able off road in stock form, but now it has to be an interstate 'pack' leader also ? Then get the Porsche Cyanne (or what ever) with 350+ HP. I just came back from north California's largest U-PULL-IT with thousands of cars, and guess what. Plenty of Chevy Blazed, and Ford Busto's and NOT 1 Pathy ! None ! 1 vehicle cant do it all, but I think the Pathfinder (4runner also) comes as close as any. I'm not knocking the severe mods like solid axles, chevy motors, etc, as that can be cool for the sake of doing (and SALUTE to those with the inginuity to do it) but there are other vehicles out there that have those stock. If you want a super something, there are more viable bases for that. If you want a solid, reliable vehicle with all around capability, the Pathy is a good choice, motor and all.

Hope this doesn't come off as a rant, but it just seems like common sense to me.

Bernard

Guest SomePunkKid

"powered by Chevy" hehehe that be cool looking

Sorry i havent posted in a while. The stores Killed me as of late. Anyone. I do belive an Blazer and Explore. (the ford with the 5.0 and the blaze with the 4.3) bith have better running gear then any toyota or nissian of its years. And what are you talking about? Kia is buy one get one free ya that ant trying to rope prople in. But to be fair every car company trys to tie ya in. IMHO Nothing will ever ever ever beat a ford or a chevy In overall quality. Now SW you have the motor sitting in it right? And no oil pan problems? Then there most be a diffrence in our oil pans cuz i crushed my one test fitting it. YOu have a 3.8. Maybe pan diffrence. Im gonna see if a 3.8 oil pan will bolt to my 4.3 And SW think u could take a pic of that oil pan as it sits? TY for your time Peace

SPK i will be finished all mounts by this weekend - one big tranny mount, 2 engine mounts & two chassis mounts

once they are finished, cleaned up and painted black i will take some photos for you to see.

i havent touched on the sump yet, i know its a bit of a backwards way of doing things but ive left plenty of room and know what iam up against.

here are some pics of what another bloke has done with his sump, same 3.8L into pathy, i will be doing something very similar.

what are the specs on the american version of the motor?

the oz specs are 3.8L fuel injectected v6

130kw and 300Nm

compared to Nissan 180Nm - :P

after all the bringing down of the chev motor....

theres not much extra horsies but there is a crap load more Nm's and that folks is why i am doing this :idea:

another thing to remeber is that my pathy was a 4 cyl carby and the vg30 seems like a 350 chev compared. so something that a stack better than the vg30 is just a bonus.

further more quite literaly there are thousands and thousands of theses motors in oz and the amount of performance gear available is mind boggling, and just how much stuff is available for the vg30??? :P

[/need to explain myself amindst the hacking of the chev motor]

Guest SomePunkKid

I dont know. but we have the 3.8 over here as well but we also have the 4.3 truck motor. Makes more low end TQ. But as far as block and set up are pritty much the same . The Big diffrence in our motors is you have coil packs where my vortech has a distrbuter. I do belive you got that motor outta a full sized GM car did you not? M motor is a 99 model i do belive whats yours?

just some quick pics of the mounts

would have posted the pics of when the mounts were sprayed gloss black but the gloss paint and the flash of the camera did not mix

IMG_8158.jpg

drivers side

IMG_8160.jpg

drivers side

IMG_8159.jpg

passenger side

IMG_8161.jpg

passenger side

IMG_8162.jpg

driver side engine mount

IMG_8163.jpg

passenger side engine mount

:aok:

LMAO hardwaretoad, darnm mnear sprayed beer in the keeboard !!! sw $ spk, I give you major kudo's for doing this work, and hope you condense it into a technical article, but you gotta admit hardwaretoad has a point. Don't get me wrong, VW bugs are another 'hobby' of mine and I have seen 1 with a V8; while I would never do it myself, its still cool !!!! :bow: Keep it up and good luck !!

Bernard

You guys should've just swapped all that crap into a PT Cruiser and left your poor Pathy's to someone that appreciates them.... :hide:

:P

:blink:

sorry i have the need to make my most favorite truck more of a 'go-er' off road

Sorry! I couldn't resist. :X

Don't take too much to heart, I admire the ingenuity & perseverance you both are showing. :aok: There's been times where I wished I'd had the grunt of the ubiquitous small block, like passing motorhomes with a boat on two-lane highways, or not having quite enough run at the bottom of a particularly tough hill.

There's a couple of reasons that Toyota & Nissan 4x4's hold their resell value, and neither of them start with F or C... :secret: