The 4.3 swap topic.

Guest SomePunkKid

Guest SomePunkKid

Ive looked around on the forums a few times and seen people talk about ive read up on it. Got an 88 pathy with a possibly blown motor for sale like 3 doors down from me. Ive read up on it a lil on AC forums it looks almost easy. As far as I know. I need the motor and transmission and a painless harness and the t case. first question. What years had the multi port fuel injection? Which had the most out put? As I go along with my swap I want to make a log so this will be the post people refer to when they do there swap :) so first I need to know what years to look for. On a side note. Anyone know a good place for a 4.3 forum? A fast shot at goggles showed hardly anything worth while for a forum well im off to go look at this pathy with a blow motor. See ya all hope this all works out good!!!

Guest SomePunkKid

Update:

I have got the pathy. 100 bucks :) also my painless catolog came in the mail im gonna try to hit up some chevy fourms for year of the VOrtech v6. As far as i know the painless kit is plug and play. In that case all the real work for this swap is 1.) custum 4.3 oil pan 2.) Way to mount the tranny and transfer case 3.) welding in motor mounts. Pritty easy :) i say that now ask me that in about 6 week when im neck deep in wiring if the anserw is the same

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SomePunkKid

Update:

Old Engine and transmission are out. I desided on a TH700r4 tranny. With a lock up coverter. I spent the day degressing the engine bay and tranny tunnel. Thinking about bed liner for the bay and tunnel. On a side note. Is the FSM the only place for a 100% Correct wiring diagram? Also i think with the TH700r4 and np208 ill need a drive shaft. Anyone know where to order one or the right way to caculate the legth of the new one? Ty for time

post a pic of the engine and trans would ya

i wonna know if we are doing the same thing.....

ive hedard somewhere that the yank version of my motor is 4.3, but they develop similar power

-study-

:shrug:

Guest SomePunkKid

Dont have the motor yet. Just trans and Transfer case. Tho as long as its an pushrod gm V6 it be just like my swap. i plan to take pics every step of the way and make a big how too page. Anyways i gotta get back to work see ya

its certainly a push rod gm engine

you guys have the t700r4 or something dont you

we have the t700 but the lock up torque converter is controlled via voltage from the computer

sounds like were doin similar things.... i think....

Guest SomePunkKid

Sounds to me where doing the same thing. Even the tranny should be the same, Just diffrent names. What transfer case did you use?

Guest SomePunkKid

Hmmm no i havent seen that. Good info. WHat adapter did you use? When your done id like to see how u run the exhuast. Do you have AIM. Id like to talk. We should work on a tech artical for this swap. Talk to you later

im using a 'Marks' adaptor

they make every combination under the sun and there stuff is good BUT they are very expensive :mellow:

i happened to get my adaptor plate from a wreckers by absolute chance

i then rang Marks and got them to send across a machined trans output shaft

sorry for the noob like comment but what is AIM?

writing a 'how to' of sorts sounds cool ;)

Guest SomePunkKid

lol AIM is just a chat program. I got a real noob question ...when you say your in OZ you dont mean the wizard of oz do you? so where are you?

Guest SomePunkKid

wow im stupid i should of looked that up instead of playing the fool. anyways did u have any problems with the oil pan? Ive heard that it needs to be cut and welded to a move the sump back to clear the front pumpkin. whats the dealio?

Just drop a good old 90-95 Nissan 3.0 mutiport fuel injected engine in there.

be careful with that 4.3 engine!!

my brother has a 1995 GMC Jimmy with the 4.3 Vortech engine and one of the main freeze plugs is about to blow and it has a rod in the 3rd cylinder knocking at only 77,000 miles.

my brother hates the truck with a passion and he wishes he never bought it!

parts he has replaced;

ac compressor

suspension(both of the front shocks bottom bolts were busted off)

fuel pump

ECU

timing belt

ive driven the truck and i see what he means. It handles like a caddy and it has no balls whatsoever.

the tranny sux even worse than mine! it shudders and clunks along. CHEVY :oops: :nono:

chevy -argue- Nissan :D

Guest SomePunkKid

i dunno i owned alot of chevys. All of them treated me very well. My 95 blazer had 300,000 on stcok engine. and i sold it. My GMC k1500 has 250,000....No porblems with that.. Had a 1977 chevy van with over 500,000 on the chassie. (that thing was a beast.) On a side note my Ford thunderbird has about 110,000 on the 4.6 and it still moves like new....anyways its hit or miss i guess but for me i allways had a home run with chevy or ford for that matter

Then One question... Why would you purchase a Nissan Only to Convert it to a Chevy? I can Understand One wanting to Gain more power or Tourqe, But i just dont understand why you would want to put a Motor that will never Last as Long as the Body in the Truck? not to Knock chevy or Ford, but apples to oranges, Import Motors last Longer than MOST American Motors. Im not saying ALL, but lets loook at the Majority of the Guys on this Site 150-200K Miles and Still Rollin without any Problems. Im not trying to knock anyone, a Project is a Project and Much respect to that, But the whole challenge of building a Pathy up is to keep it a pathy!

Guest SomePunkKid

Well i could buy a new VG30 and Pathy auto tranny. Or i could put in the more powerfull and more stout Autp of the Chevy in it. Hmmmm. I like Nissian motors i really do. But every domastic i ever owned lasted well over 100,000. I can walk into any autozone or adavaced hell i could walk into a wal mart and get a rebuild kit for a chevy. And when 60,000 miles rolls around guess what i dont have to mess with....ahh the timing belt. The GM 4.3 with 700r will not only give better gas milage but more power and last longer. Thats why im doing this swap. And not to sound mean or anything. But i allways hated it people say imports last longer. THats a crock IMHO. Now ill give ya this. Dodge is junk. But as for ford and GM. Best motors and trannys around. And anyword on that oil pan sw?

The GM 4.3 with 700r will not only give better gas milage but more power and last longer. Thats why im doing this swap.

i hear ya brother :bow:

oil pan not yet....

things going slowly here

i will keep ya posted

spending heaps of time gettings things just perfect.....

trans mount finished

engine mounts not quite finished

Guest SomePunkKid

Cool taken pics keep me updated. Im also real busy some with other projects as well. being a resent buy in a diffrent project i blow my load for parts for a while lol lol lol but keep me updated

Well i could buy a new VG30 and Pathy auto tranny. Or i could put in the more powerfull and more stout Autp of the Chevy in it. Hmmmm. I like Nissian motors i really do. But every domastic i ever owned lasted well over 100,000. I can walk into any autozone or adavaced hell i could walk into a wal mart and get a rebuild kit for a chevy. And when 60,000 miles rolls around guess what i dont have to mess with....ahh the timing belt. The GM 4.3 with 700r will not only give better gas milage but more power and last longer. Thats why im doing this swap. And not to sound mean or anything. But i allways hated it people say imports last longer. THats a crock IMHO. Now ill give ya this. Dodge is junk. But as for ford and GM. Best motors and trannys around. And anyword on that oil pan sw?

If American engines really were superior to Japanese products, then they would be considered the benchmark of engineering, reliability and desirability. Alas, this is not the case. Compare a similar year Blazer or Explorer and Pathfinder/4Runner/etc. Similar trucks, the Blazer and Ford with a bigger motor and probably more space. What are you looking at for reliability and resale? A slaughter by the Japanese brands as the American ones settle for making a disposable vehicle that is engineered to be "good enough" to last a few years, but that is all. Even now, American car manufacturers for the most part have to tack on thousands of dollars in incentives and rebates to even convince someone to buy one of their products.