Exhaust thoughts...

Is there any possible way to remove the exhaust sensor so the engine doesn't run crappy? I was thinking of getting pacesetter headers, getting a flowmaster welded on either side, and having it dump right behind the front doors, like what you see on Landcuisers sometimes. I want to do something new with my exhaust, something that not alot (if any) have. And since I don't do much city driving, or rock crawling... I don't think that exhaust fumes in the cab would be anything to worry about really. Anyone care to chime in with their thoughts?

Well I'm sure you could relocate the sensor instead of removing it. I have no idea how far up or down the exhaust pipe you can move it and have the sensor still read accurately with flow and all that jazz. It must be before any catalytic converter though.

I see what you mean now. Someone else here has probably tinkered with that before, they would know for sure.

I wouldn't think it would make a difference, either. But who knows, it's a Pathfinder. :shrug:

I don't see you having a major fume issue. My tailpipe, while not under the drivers door, being out the side on the drivers side, the only time I have any fume issues is at drive-thrus. Normally have to shut down just to hear them anyway.

The Nissan Heated pre-cat O2 sensor (the only one in this case) is most accurate the closser to the manifold it is. Furthrer down the pipe the exhaust cools and appears chemically differant which I think leads to rich mixing. I belive moving it up stream of the Y (so it only reads 3 cyl) will also lead to rich mixing. IMO Your best bet is to leave it in the mid Pipe(right next to the Y) or relocte it to the the Y pipe. Replacing it with a new one may help your performance since it may be old & worn out.

Also, for a pipe as short as you want it I'd stick to 2" pipe & muffler you may lose all your bottom end torque.

Is there any possible way to remove the exhaust sensor so the engine doesn't run crappy? I was thinking of getting pacesetter headers, getting a flowmaster welded on either side, and having it dump right behind the front doors, like what you see on Landcuisers sometimes. I want to do something new with my exhaust, something that not alot (if any) have. And since I don't do much city driving, or rock crawling... I don't think that exhaust fumes in the cab would be anything to worry about really. Anyone care to chime in with their thoughts?

My advice is to go with Doug Thorley Header's instead of Pacesetter. I heard on another forum that Pacesetter's were prone to either cracking under pressure and/or rusting. With Thorley's you get what you pay for. :beer::itsallgood:

And the Pacesetter's cross over pipe is useless, both that it's cross over hole is too small and the entire thing is poorly designed. The right bank (facing the truck) produces the venturi affect, while the left side (facing the truck) and cross over pipe do not.

Since that's the point of headers, they are pretty much useless.

If you run Pacesetters, it's best to run a true dual exhaust which does away with the cross over pipe and ensures the proper venturi affect actually happens.

Edited by Kingman