Larger Cat?

Barbecue

Hi everyone,

I've got a '91 XE and am looking at building a custom exhaust set-up. I'd like to keep the project as cheap as possible as I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy and don't want to put too much cash into a higher mileage vechile.

My question is about the catalytic converter; I don't want to simply remove the cat, as I would like to keep it %100 legal. I was wondering if I could weld-in a used cat from a larger (v8) vehicle, and whether the larger size would work in the same manner as getting a high-flow cat.

Thanks in advance.

-BBQ

P.S. Who has K&N air filters and likes them? I'm thinking of getting one...

i would just spend the 70 bucks on a high flow cat. i have a cold air intake off ebay and it seems to make a dfiference. I really like it. plusi t sounds cool!

Edited by edicer2

Thanks edicer, that's some good advice.

I've got another question: does any company manufacture a high flow cat in non-stainless steel (aluminized, or reg steel)? I'd like to weld up the system myself to save some money, but I can't weld stainless (just regular, old steel mig welding).

Thanks,

-BBQ

I would of told you go to a junk yard and take a cat off of some other vehicle... except thats illegal....

Idk about it but i have heard talk of getting a pipe and just make it go around the cat... but still leave the cat in there...

or just cut the cat out...

Idk what to offer cause i havent really looked into performance cats... I planned on cutting my cat out...

I know you can get high flow cats at napa... try them... or if you got some extra cash to spend go get a racing cat!

That's for the replies guys, I know there have been lots of exhaust threads lately. One more quick question, I've seen on a lot of the cats advertised they have a small air connection pipe on the side, what is that for? I don't think the cat currently on my pathy has one...

That is for the AIV box, it recirculates exhaust gasses back into the engine to be reburned. Just another part of the emissions system.

To answer your original question, yes you can take a cat from a big V8 and still be legal. Industrial trucks have the biggest, like an old Ford dump truck with the 460 or a Chevy 454. The cats are huge on those type of trucks. Since they're so big, the flow resistance is minimal but the turbulance isn't anywhere near as bad as you may think.