electrical question

Guest '95pathyXE

Guest '95pathyXE

:help: :help: I just installed an aftermarket reciever in my 95 pethy and now my dash lights and parking lights won't work. when i hooked up the new headunit i took out the factory amps and ran new wires to the speakers using crossovers so i could use the midranges and the tweeters. I think i must be a blown fuse which i'm gonna check, but is there anything else that could've caused my dash and parking lights to stop working?

Guest '95pathyXE

yea, i checked the fuses and there was a blown fuse so i changed it but all i had was a 20 amp and it had a 10. i put in the 20 and it cooked my dimmer switch, so that led me to believe that something is shorting out. i checked all the wires and the only thing i found was that the illumination/dash light (orange) wire was hooked up to the chassis ground. i unhooked the orange wire but the headunit won't work correctly without it hooked up that way all it does is flash on and off. i checked and the orange wire is a ground as well. i don't know why the headunit won't work without the orange and the chassis ground hooked together, but i also don't know why it would cause a short considering that both the wires are grounds. i guess if i can't get it to work right, i'll just get a new dimmer switch and run new power wires and a new ground.

Um, if I remember right, the orange illumination wire is NOT a ground. Its a power input used to illuminate the deck when the headlights are turned on so you can see the buttons and such in the dark. I've always spliced this into the remote (blue) wire if the car doesn't have an illum wire so that the deck is fully lit whenever its on. This was on Sony and Eclipse decks.

Guest '95pathyXE

the deck i installed was a sony, but i taped off the orange wire and ran a different chassis ground and now everything works right except my dashlights b\c i gotta get a new dimmer switch. :aok:

• 2 months later...