gear oil leaking from speedo cable..... wtf

i have gear oil leaking from the speedo cable under my dash, its been oozing long enough to run down the firewall to the carpet. is there a seal in the drive end of the cable to prevent the oil from getting sucked up the housing? could this be from the extra liter of oil added to the trans?

thanks in advance!

Wow thats a long way for some stray T-case oil to travel.

Are you sure its T-case oil?

If it is there there must be some preassue in there, pull the fill plug and the vent line where it attches to a hardline @ the x-member and blow thru the vent line. If you can't then its clogged like bowtied said.

If you added to the tranny the only way it would effect the t-case is if your t-case fwd seal is bad and thus the tranny would be over filling the t-case which might lead to a problem. This will also be evident if you pull the fill plug and more than a drop spills out.

Speaking of t-cases I finally re-built the one you sent me and installed it. (thanks allot :))If it turns out yours needs a new fwd seal(requres a rebild since fwd seal can only be changed from the inside) I can rebuild my old one and send it back to you in the crate you sent me.

Are you sure its T-case oil?

If it is there there must be some preassue in there, pull the fill plug and the vent line where it attches to a hardline @ the x-member and blow thru the vent line. If you can't then its clogged like bowtied said.

im 100% positive its the t-case oil, its good ole stinky gear oil. and its running down the speedo cable housing back to the fire wall...

it could be the leaf cutter bee's have plugged my vent lines they will build a nest in anything hollow and round over here.

If you added to the tranny the only way it would effect the t-case is if your t-case fwd seal is bad and thus the tranny would be over filling the t-case which might lead to a problem. This will also be evident if you pull the fill plug and more than a drop spills out.

i will have to pull the drain plug and see if it gushes out.. if it does then i bet the tranny is low, i've ran some really steep hill climbs and done a ton of uphill driving in the thing.

Speaking of t-cases I finally re-built the one you sent me and installed it. (thanks allot :))If it turns out yours needs a new fwd seal(requres a rebild since fwd seal can only be changed from the inside) I can rebuild my old one and send it back to you in the crate you sent me.

thanks for the offer. i know of a few over here that i can get a hold of. worst case i can drive my LUV for a few days

it could be the leaf cutter bee's have plugged my vent lines they will build a nest in anything hollow and round over here.

I'm pretty sure the T-case and front diff vent into the tranny where the exess preassure can escape thru the 5 spd control lever. But that may be just specific to my 89 Cali emissons model.

I'm pretty sure the T-case and front diff vent into the tranny where the exess preassure can escape thru the 5 spd control lever. But that may be just specific to my 89 Cali emissons model.

the tranny and t-case have separate vent lines that tie into a common tube that connects the tanny/tcase/ front & rear axles. and it vents @ the firewall with an inverted trap. i havent had time to check the vent line yet. maybe i will get to it this weekend.