more speedo problems

when i bought the truck the speedo and odometer were not working so i went to the junk yard and put in a new speedo. that did not fix the problem, so after some pleading i got the junkyard to give me a speed sensor which fixed the problem. now after a couple weeks my speedo and my tach are not working. it also has the little battery light on. i shouldnt have a low battery because the problem started at the end of the day after driving 150 miles or so.

im kind of at a loss as to what could have now caused both the speedo and tach to go out and also dont know what else i should check or replace since i already did the speedo and speed sensor, granted with junkyard parts. i have already checked the connections and would aprreciate any help.

check the charge... your alt may not be charging properly.

as to speedo... check the fuses.. and if that's all good, put the original cluster back in.. it could be the cluster voltage regulator that's acting up

i checked my fuses and had the meter which seems to control the speedo tach and ac blower, the tail lamp which seems to control the interior dash lights that come on when i turn on my headlights, and stop lamp which i dont know what it does all blown. they are all supposed to be 10a but i found a 15 to use in meter slot which worked for the 20 minutes before i could get to checkers. after checkers and replacing all three fuses i start driving again. within a minute both the meter and tail lamp are blown. i havent switched back to my original speedo yet and am wondering if having a speed senor from an auto and a speedo from a stick would make the speedo off. ( i thought i read that autos have 4.3 and sticks have 4.6 rear ends) also since i also am blowing the tail lamp fuse could i have a bigger electrical problem or is it something i should just stick some bigger fuses in for.

definitely find a wiring diagram and try to trace the 3 circuits. it could be that all three touch and short each other out. if you're up for it, i'll look for one but i am sure hayens manual's one is decent enough. i've used it before with good results.

i have put the old speedo back in and have traced the wires as best i can to try and find the problem and have taken apart the headlight and wiper control thingies apart but i am still blowing the fuses for the speedo, dash lights, and turn signals within an hour of putting new fuses in. i have a haynes manual that i have tried to interperet but without much success. since it doesnt blow imediatly when i put in the new fuses i am assuming it is just a few slightly frayed wires that only touch occasionally. if any of you have had this problem and/or know where these might touch i would be very thankfull.

i have put the old speedo back in and have traced the wires as best i can to try and find the problem and have taken apart the headlight and wiper control thingies apart but i am still blowing the fuses for the speedo, dash lights, and turn signals within an hour of putting new fuses in. i have a haynes manual that i have tried to interperet but without much success. since it doesnt blow imediatly when i put in the new fuses i am assuming it is just a few slightly frayed wires that only touch occasionally. if any of you have had this problem and/or know where these might touch i would be very thankfull.

Just a tip from every time I trace wiring. Check wherever the wire is going to be near a pinch point, so anywhere where they might get pinched by screws, plastic pieces, etc. Other than that, you can just follow all the wires coming from that fuse block on back, PITA, PITA I tell ya, but it works. Get yourself a power probe and that can help too. If tracing the wiring there doesn't work, I don't know what else to tell ya. Hope that helps.