rear axle seal confusion

mishikwest

After reading previous topics and checking the schematics on the rear axle seals, it looks like there are two. One it looks like is pressed into the end of the case, and one at the bottom of the wheel bearing stack. It looks like to replace the 1rst one you just yank out the rear axle with brake attached and replace seal. Pretty quick? The other one it seems you disassemble the wheel bearing and brakes to get at it. Pretty long? Do I have it right?

I'm trying to figure if I can just do a quick replace on the axle seal in a few hours, or if I should undo the whole bearing/brake and do that seal too. (I've got axle fluid all over my brakes). In other words should I plan for half a Saturday and a 15$ seal, or a whole weekend with seal, new bearings, brakes, $$, etc. I don't mind doing the whole deal, just short on time right now and wouldn't mind rear brakes again.

Thanks for any advise, you guys are great.

the Innner seal(one in the axle housing) Is the one you need to replace. It keeps your gear oil inside your rear end and out of your axle bearings and brakes etc...

The outer seal(req. bearing removal) Is not worth the time and effort and will not stop your oil leak. It just keeps the grease in your bearings.

when you change your inner seal be sure to pack allot of grease into you axle bearing esp since leak most likely diluted your existing grease. maybe take a grease needle if you have one and try and squirt some in deeper.

Edited by MY1PATH