Service Engine Soon Light Again

Trialsin26

Service Engine Soon Light came on again for the 3d time. This time my friend printed out the screen with the error codes which I included in the post. Anybody have any ideas on what this mean when it comes to my O2 sensor? I'm going to Nissan next weekend to change my oil and I will ask them too. I have a feeling I'll have to replace both rear O2 sensors which will suck, only 38k, but I think it might be covered under my power tran. warranty.

post-7-1092597205.jpg

the o2 sensor tells the computer whats happening with air fuel mixture by the time the stuff gets to the zaust

they do go bad but shouldnt of only after 38000kms

Squam, you got to use the 93 oct. ha ha. Anyway I always use 93 oct because if I don't it pings, so I know that is not the reason for my SES light. I have been researching the code and discovered it could possibly be one of two things. First both O2 sensors could be bad but highly unlikely with only 38k, or I also found that it could be a bad ground. I also looked at the Nissan service bulletin and it seems like this a problem with our pathfinders. I guess I'll find out this weekend when I take my car to Nissan for an oil change. I hope it's covered under my powertrain warranty.

don't I know it about the 93 octane! dang - made it this far without it, will have to see if the gas-cost savings outweighs the repair cost... then again I have an extended warranty for bumper to bumper for 60k - will see if it covers the issues at hand... :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Trialsin26,

Did you ever get your problem with O2 sensors resolved at the dealer? I have the same problem and Nissan has a TSB (see below) on that very SES (MIL, DTC) light. I am wondering if there is a free repair or how much it will cost (hopefully it is covered, :cool2: ).

I had Autozone pull the DTC P0160 for my SES light. It lights up after long trips on hot highway with frequent fuel stops. Had it once then it went away after a week of normal driving. Now it has come back after another long hot highway trip

Thanks...

Technical Service Bulletins Summary

Make: Nissan

Model: Pathfinder

Year: 2001

Service Bulletin Number: NTB02006

NHTSA Item Number: 628220

Summary Description:

SUBJECT REGARDING MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP 'ON' WITH REAR OXEGEN SENSOR DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE PO138-P0140 OR P0158-P0160 STORED. *JG

Yes, I got it fixed. It was the rear o2 sensor bank2 sensor2 code po158...And I tell you what I really lucked out too. O2 sensors are only covered under your 3 year 36,000 mile warranty, unless you have an extended warranty.....which I didn't...and I had 38,000miles on my Nissan.....But I did get lucky because apparently the rear O2 sensors are a problem, because the service guy fixed it for free under what they call a Goodwill Warranty...which basically means they will fix it for free but in return they will send you a service survey and you will have to mark excellent on everything...which was fine with me if they fix it for free...saved me $180.00....$60.00 for the part and $120.00 for labor....they said 2 hours but it only took they 15 min....Anyway I got the survey the other day and mailed it right back....But if you get any of those error codes you listed you will have to replace the O2 sensor...good luck. :aok:

Thanks for the valuable detailed info. Unfortunately I have 48K miles on my 01 LE and I think they will charge me for it. Now I am wondering if it is a covered item because the O2's are so problematic and "goodwill" meant it was covered by the factory warranty extension(not published) on that issue.

Here is your DTC code below:

Results

Code Make Description

P0158 Generic O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2)

Here is my DTC code below:

Results

Code Make Description

P0160 Generic O2 Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 2, Sensor 2)

Here is the DTC code lookup website:

http://www.iequus.com/obd_def.asp

Nothing like getting the dealer to take ownership of their problems on their dime. Glad it worked out for you. :beer: I might just try the dealer when I have time and post if they will "goodwill" my problem also. :aok:

Car forums at their best.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I was using 89 octane and my o2 sensors "blew" up too. Needed to replace bank 1 and bank 2. Luckly the Nissan guy serviced my car under the table so it did not cost too much - but I have started to use 93 octane to rule out some options.

~jrvanas

Are you sure about the O2 sensor's sensitivity to 89 octane because that is what I use. Ever since gas prices went up, I have switched from 93 to 89 octane. That is about a little over year now.

How does using 89 effect the O2 sensors? I know pathies are suppose to use 91 as recommended.

Not sure if there is a direct effect - meaning on the sensors - but I had to replace 6 sensors after having the 01 for only 6 months. The car was less then 2 years old and 36k on it with 4 sensors blown. Not only was I pissed but I was broke for a while too - lol. Thats why I found a dealer mechanic that would service under the table. I'm going to stick with 93 for a while till I feel the hole in my pocket. :furious:

~jrvanas

I have used 93 oct as of day one when I bought my Nissan...if I use anything less it pings and being a 5 speed manual you really notice it. Anyway I don't think the oct level really effects the sensor.

"The car was less then 2 years old and 36k on it with 4 sensors blown".......lemon law maybe?

I think this is just a bad part on 01-up Pathfinder per what the guy at Nissan hinted.

Also I notice a differance in the way my car ran when the O2 sensor went bad.

:bed: well hopefully now I can rest easy that the problem is fixed.