engine swap in a 89 pathy with a 90-95 300zx twin turbo

dustinNPF

so i got this crazy idea to put a 300zx twin turbo i my pathfinder. i have about 260,000 miles in my rig and its no spring chicken anymore. the engine i have right now i believe is the VG30E. i was looking on ebay and they have the VG30dett for a descent price and thought that it might be nice to get a few more HP's. i know that there will be some wiring issues and that i might have to get the wiring harness from a 300zx to make it work. my question is if anyone knows if it will bolt onto the OEM tranny and engine mounts and everything? any help would be great!

post-17078-1239255719_thumb.jpg

Edited by dustinNPF

I considered this for my '98 with the VG33E, and when I e-mailed the place selling the VG30DETT, I was told not to even bother... It'd be way too much work.

But I'd say research as much as you can before you decide. With enough time and money, anything is possible. :aok:

you would be able to swap out all of the mounting brkts for the engine...the problem is getting the turbo's in the bay...I havent actually seen the engine out of a 300 but I know in a 300 it fills the bay which appears to be wider than the pathy but then again i havent seen the 300 next to a pathy either...

I have some crazy fab theory's to try to get it to work but I would definitely take lots of measurements before attempting it. I would assume it would have the right bolt pattern for the tranny but there may be a difference in the crank to output shaft but don't really know. I wish someone would donate me a pathy and a 300 and pay me to do the mod b/c I could get it done

I think the solution for the wiring would be best to get a full harness with ECU from the 300 b/c that is what you primarily need is the engine to function...you would also need to know what parameters the ECU pulled from (for example electronic speedo, rear axle speed, 02s etc) I learned a lot of what the ECU needed in my 87 to 95 swap

I would expect to spend something like $6k minimum on this

I say get a a 90 or 91 motor,rebuild it and strap a turbo to it... I got a friend who strapped a turbo to his motor in his little 91 hardbody pick up and he made custom oil lub lines, custom exhaust manifold, boost controller, and a greddy bov.... Ran it at 8psi and it was dyno'ed at about I believe 325-350hp... Stock V-6 motor... Bout 100,000 miles on it...

Reason why I say rebuild it is cause in my friends motor, 3 months later it blew a rod... Right through the side of the block... And right into his turbo too...or some part of the turbo... Maybe the oil lines...idk don't totally remember...

All I remember is it was brutally quick, then had a nasty ending....

Edited by Nytrosfinder