effictive rust treatment

joeytattoo

:confused: On the bottom of my rig between the doors on each side and the runner rails it has rusted all the way through. Do they sell body pannels for that I can weld in my self or even a diamond plate set to mount on to make it look better.

Other than finding precut diamond plating on Ebay, you'd pretty much just need to obtain a sheet of diamond plate or regular sheet metal and cut out what you need. That seems to be a popular rust spot because mine is getting there also. I've pondered going with diamond plate down there myself. I believe 88 added that to his rig, maybe he could shed some light on what is involved with that.

Borrowing 88Path's idea, I used some bed rails I bought off of Ebay for like $10. They want a fortune for them brand new, about $80-100. They were for a 96 or so GMC Sonoma/Chevy S10. I just flipped them over, and had to do a little slight trimming. But being aluminum, you can just use tin snips or avation shears. I mounted them using, of all things, heavy duty 3M double back tape from Home Depot. I ran the tape, as well as some strips of weather stripping, vertically so that any water that gets in there flows straight through. They've been on for a few months now with no problems. They cover from most of the inside the doorjam to way under the rockers, just about to the edge of the body, and from fender well to fender well. Looks pretty tough in my opinion.