AC Compressor / AC Clutch / AC Gurus

VOTS95

Hi Folks,

I have a 1995 V6 with auto. It's starting to warm up here in Phoenix and I'm having a problem with my ac clutch. The system blows really COLD air but when I turn off the ac, or the compressor cycles off, the clutch won't fully disengage and makes a hell of a racket. Another way of describing it is that I can't spin the clutch disc on the compressor when the engine is turned off.

The ac compressor is really accessible for working on, has anyone ever replaced their clutch? The FSM writeup seems pretty straight forward but they assume the compressor is out of the truck and also callout some special tools. Thanks!

Hi Folks,

I have a 1995 V6 with auto. It's starting to warm up here in Phoenix and I'm having a problem with my ac clutch. The system blows really COLD air but when I turn off the ac, or the compressor cycles off, the clutch won't fully disengage and makes a hell of a racket. Another way of describing it is that I can't spin the clutch disc on the compressor when the engine is turned off.

The ac compressor is really accessible for working on, has anyone ever replaced their clutch? The FSM writeup seems pretty straight forward but they assume the compressor is out of the truck and also callout some special tools. Thanks!

Of course it would be easier to replace with it out of the truck but there is no reason if you are patient.

I have never done one on a Pathy, have on a Pontiac and an Isuzu. Tokk a few hours.

where I work we dont see a lot of clutches being replaced here because the cost of the clutch by itself is 2/3 the cost of a whole new compressor with the clutch installed already, factor in the age of the compressor to start with and you have some decisions to make....

Thanks for the feedback Alkorahil, I know that replacing the compressor/clutch assembly is the best longterm solution. However, money is really tight right now and I would like to hopefully find a lower cost fix to the problem.

unccpathfinder, thanks for the offer. I have another compressor with a good clutch. I assume it's good, I've applied voltage to it and got the clutch to "click - engage". If I could figure out how to successfully swap out the clutches, my repair wouldn't cost me anything.

I'm gonna scan the auto service ads on Craigslist and see if I can find an ac tech that can do the job for a reasonable price.