tempatur gauge

ac92pathfinder

i have a 92 pathfinder xe 3.0 someone by passed the plug thaty goes into the temp switch to the battery instead i plugged it into the switch but doesnt work along with the gas gauge. if i leave it on the battery i get back and fourth readings like one time it said i was over heating and it would sit on cold too. what can i do to fix this? thanks

See if your voltage regulator behind your instrument cluster hasn't failed. Pretty common issue on our gen 'finders. I think there is a how-to in WD-21 section. It's about a 30 minute project IIRC when I did mine a couple of years back.

i take that back. Problems with your fuel and temp gauges are common with the 95 and older trucks. On the back of your cluster is a small box with some wires coming out of it going to different points on the cluster. This is a voltage regulator for the gauges and it is known to fail. I got a new one at my local dealer for about $25 and it took about a total of 2 min to replace. (from MrReverse) is this located behind the instrument cluster do i have to remove that? also my heater controls dont work the hot and cold does along with the fan but i can get the controls like the defrost and sround that area to work also they dont light up. just my speedometer area. i checked for blow fuses i didnt see any.

Yes you have to remove the instrument cluster to access the voltage regulator. A few screws and putty knife to pry the top edge of the cluster out from under the dash. It shouldn't be a big deal. I can't help you on the HVAC controls but I presuming they are vaccum driven. While you are there keep disassembling the dash panels to access the HVAC controls as well. Maybe something(s) have become disconnected. As faith would have it I have an intermittenat HVAC illumination issue as well. So far I have just lived with it as my selectors still work.